• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Defragmenting...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DDR-PIII

Disabled
Ok... i havent done that forever but I'm doing it today..how many times a month should I do it ? Also which type of file system is better ofr XP Pro ? I'm currently using FAT32... If the NTFS ? or whatever it is better what are the reasons for being better ?

Tipycol

I don't know about which file system is better, but if you defragment you shouldn't use the one installed with windows. It's too slow and doesn't defragment everything.
Get diskeeper lite from downloads.com It works much faster and can defragment hidden files.

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
There's an excellent MS TechNet article called "Choosing Between File Systems" written back in October of '99 which can be found here...

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tr...prodtechnol/winntas/tips/techrep/filesyst.asp

...in which the author notes that there are times when it's appropriate to use the FAT file system, other times when it's more appropriate to use NTFS, and still other times when you'll want to use FAT32. The author also discusses the differences between these file systems and explains how to gain the maximum benefit from them. ;)

flyingember

Registered
with xp use the built in thing. it works fine.

use NTFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. stability. ntfs is much better at securing data in the case of a power outage. the only time I had issues was when I was running a half dozen programs actively during one
2. security. you can lockdown files from other users if you use ntfs. it gets you a more complex sharing system
3. beyond the fat32 size limit (I don't remember what it is)

the main reason though is stability. there's less data loss chances.

OP
DDR-PIII

DDR-PIII

Disabled
can i switch to NTFS from fat32 with getting rid of my data ?

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
DDR-PIII said:
can i switch to NTFS from fat32 with getting rid of my data ?
yes, you can convert your hard drives from FAT32 -> NTFS, but not the other way around (be sure you want to do this first).

I prefer NTFS, and I run it on all my systems. I also use Diskeeper instead of the default defrag program, i just like it better.

OP
DDR-PIII

DDR-PIII

Disabled
Ok :) well you know how you can lock your computer with XP pro well one of my little sisters were here earlyer and they unlocked it some how... they dont even know my password or how lon git is or what its got to do with my p/w/ is XXXXXXXXXXXXX long and i know she didnt type it cuz she probably cant even spell it... is there a way to increase the lock security ?

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
changing your filesystem from FAT32 to NTFS won't add that kind of security. Is it possible that they used the "fast-switch" to login?

If the conversion utility is installed, it should be in:
Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Drive Conversion Utility

or, run:
CONVERT D:
where D: is the drive that you want to convert to NTFS

Then the system will reboot, and the conversion will take place before windows loads