• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Delid 8700k AliExpress experience

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

moneywim

Registered
Hi all,

I'm not sure this is the right place to write this blog kind of post, so if this is not, please admin move it to the right one.

Short story
I build my machine 9 months ago.
-CPU i7 8700k
- MSI gamer plus motherboard
- 16gb balsitec DDR4 2666mhz
- Coolmaster 120rgb aio
- Asus gtx1050ti 4gb
- mstech case
- Samsung 850 pro ssd 512gb
- 1.5 tb HDD
- 550w tfx PSU

Im using the pc for some light gaming
But also for compiling stuff, and photography is my hobby so editing big raw files is common work.

Over all I'm really happy with my system but....

I noticed something strange between core 1 and core 5 is sometimes 14degrees temperature difference.... when I'm compiling something or after a long gaming session temps are not sky high around 70degrees.
AIeady tried redo my aio cooler but no fix.
When I try to overclock my CPU to let's say 4.5ghz on all cores the CPU runs really hot around 95degrees on prime95 but also with differences between each core from let's say 8 a 10 degrees......

So I decided for now I'm gonna delid the CPU and put some nice new liquid metal in between.
Hopefully I get lower temps so more silent system and more equile numbers in hwinfo64

I looked around in my neighborhood if someone could help me out ... They wanted to charge me 40 to 50euro for the whole procedure.....
50 with a copper IHS...

I looked on AliExpress and saw all the instruments and I just ordered them for now I have spend 12euro on delidder and relidder
I ordered locally my thermal grizzly conduction and thermal grizzly kryonaute.

Total price 22euro ....
I'm still doubting about ordering a full copper IHS from AliExpress what are your opinions about that?

I'll keep you guys posted when I receive the stuff and will let you know what the quality is.

Delidder
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/2XT0uYo

Relidder
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/A0nY8Tq

Doubting if I will order this too...
Copper IHS
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cfvJMIrq

Greetings
Wim

The stock IHS is nickel plated copper. You will gain little or nothing temp wise changing that to full copper.

That all copper ihs also has more surface area than the factory ihs. Reviews show a few C difference.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3238-custom-copper-ihs-tested-on-intel-i7-8700k-cpu-rockit-cool
Thanks for the link I think I'll keep the original one in my case these numbers are not really worth the change and also I'm not really sure what the quality of these Chinese IHS will be....
I read a lot of contradiction about glueing the IHS back it's my first time I want to do a delid.
Dunno if I will get my IHS nicely lined up in my socket without glueing.

Ok small update i got my Grizzly conductenout and Grizzly kryonout.

Still waiting for my delidder and relidder.
In the mean time I have been playing with my cpu and settings in my motherboard
My main problem seems to be the temperature.
I test that with 30min prime95 and looking my temps closely.

I set it now

4.7ghz on all 6 cores
Vcore 1.205v
LLC number 2. I tried a flatter one like number 3 but under load the threads start crashing.

The temps are now okeish after 30min prime95 small fft around 85/89 degrees.
While just in normal use and gameing temps more 75/80 room temperature is 25 degrees.
Looking forward to delid and see if I can get it safely a bit further maybe around 4.9 for daily use with reasonable temps.

Do you guys / girls have some tips for me what I could try to get temps lower

Do you guys / girls have some tips for me what I could try to get temps lower
A delid will help...

You also have a 120mm CLC/AIO... That is going to hold you back. You'd be lucky to get 200 MHz out of the delid. YOu need a better CLC (at least 2x120mm).

A delid will help...

You also have a 120mm CLC/AIO... That is going to hold you back. You'd be lucky to get 200 MHz out of the delid. YOu need a better CLC (at least 2x120mm).
Thanks for the heads-up you are totally right.
I have a case where I doubt if I can fit a 2x 120mm rad I have same space upfront but not much airflow maybe I have to cut a hole in my case....
Will post a pic this evening maybe you guys have some ideas for me

About my delid first of all i'm quite happy with the speeds of 4.7ghz 6cores and really hoping to drop the temps so it will be a bit quieter,
To squeeze more would be nice but not my first main goal.

Christmas is coming so maybe if it could fit a new rad too....

Which case do you have by MSTech?

You should consider setting up your signature too. It' makes it easier for people to help you.

It looks like you can fit a 360mm radiator in the front of that case but there is really a limited amount of front ventilation. If your budget doesn't allow for a proper water cooling case than you could modify this one. I would cut a large opening in the front of this case and add some modders mesh. MNPCTech sells it as well as many other places.

It looks like you can fit a 360mm radiator in the front of that case but there is really a limited amount of front ventilation. If your budget doesn't allow for a proper water cooling case than you could modify this one. I would cut a large opening in the front of this case and add some modders mesh. MNPCTech sells it as well as many other places.
Yeah I thought that too it will fit there at least 240 for sure because I have already 2 120mm fans in front blowing cool air inside my case

Would it be a idea to try fitting my 120mm rad in front with blowing the warm air inside my case with a good fan at the back pulling it out?
Just to try and see what the temps will do in side my case?

Because blowing out in the situation as is to the front is a failure I think such a tiny space
The other option is indeed cutting a hole inside the front plastic big enough to make my system breath

(This is my first own build pc so have to learn from these mistakes in my design)

Moving it to the front would likely only gain you a degree or two difference. What you need is a bigger/better cooler. For water cooling radiator surface area is boss, the more you have , the better your temps will get. Naturally there is a point where it won't help but you are a long ways from that.

The other part of the equation is that your CPU is a little below average so even if you do upgrade to a 240mm or 360mm CLC/AIO you may still be limited by the CPU itself.

Moving it to the front would likely only gain you a degree or two difference. What you need is a bigger/better cooler. For water cooling radiator surface area is boss, the more you have , the better your temps will get. Naturally there is a point where it won't help but you are a long ways from that.

The other part of the equation is that your CPU is a little below average so even if you do upgrade to a 240mm or 360mm CLC/AIO you may still be limited by the CPU itself.
Check I understand,

Well for me let's start with my delid, and see what temps will do with an 'oc' of 4.7 with my current setup/cooler. Because with the 4.7 I'm really happy for now only temps are to high in extreme situations.

If it's still on the edge I'll have to upgrade my cooling situation.

Delidding will help significantly with temps, even using your current cooler. It certainly is the most cost efficient place to start.

And risky! :)

Not so much anymore given the nice delidding tools available and the fact that most circuit components are no longer on the PCB. I don't recall reading of anyone borking a CPU by delidding when using the push off tools designed for it. With razor blades and vises/hammers, yes.

The tool borked things too. It isn't as common as the other methods, but people have borked delids with tools. Its always a risk when delidding it, with some methods better (less risky - like a tool) than others.

It also voids the warranty as we know. There are, always, inherent risks with doing so. Even with a tool.

In a twist of sad irony, our very own maddmutt just killed one using the tool. :(

Still worth doing as that is not common with a tool, but found it worth posting if only for the timing. :)

Back