• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Delid?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evil-Mobo

This is new to me, so bare with me and I'm sorry if this another dead horse thread but just looking for some info and you guys are usually spot on.

For a gaming rig, is a delid of the CPU worth it to run an AIO like a Predator on it? Or is this more for just extreme cooling like LN2, etc, and better suited to benching rigs?

Basically would you take a 4C/4T CPU with a delid and one step higher GPU (980) over a 4C/8T CPU with a lower step GPU (970).......? Or option A and save the $50 on the delid.........

Thanks for the input guys :thup:

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
Not worth the risk, IMO. You might gain 100-200MHz, but that'll depend if you're temp limited or volt limited.

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
If it's already delidded and known working then there's no risk for it.

Same deal though, you won't get a higher overclock unless it was at low volts and needed lower temps to keep going.

rainman33

I de-lidded my 6700K and saw a 4-5C temp drop using coolaboratories liquid metal and the EK naked mount kit with an evo block and only gain a couple hundred MHz. On top of that the 6700K has a thinner PCB then older generations so it is more pliable thus making it much easier to kill during the process. (just a bit of info from personal experience). If the chip is de-lidded, fine. If not, like previously stated, not worth it. If you do get this chip, remember to prevent conductive TIM from getting on the chips PCB.

OP
Evil-Mobo

Evil-Mobo

I de-lidded my 6700K and saw a 4-5C temp drop using coolaboratories liquid metal and the EK naked mount kit with an evo block and only gain a couple hundred MHz. On top of that the 6700K has a thinner PCB then older generations so it is more pliable thus making it much easier to kill during the process. (just a bit of info from personal experience). If the chip is de-lidded, fine. If not, like previously stated, not worth it. If you do get this chip, remember to prevent conductive TIM from getting on the chips PCB.

Thanks for your input, I decided to skip the delid and ordered my 6600K last night :thup: