• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

delid'd my 4790k, temps are 10-30c higher wtf ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cnaydmancangt

Ive done delids before, but that was on athlon 64's. This is no different, used a razorblade got the IHS off, use my finger nail and got the old black stuff off the cpu pcb, and the IHS.. cleaned the core and ihs inside and out, put new thermal paste on the core, dropped the cpu in the socket. then IHS.. held the IHS centered so it wouldnt move.. Put the clamp on, put paste on the IHS, and the waterblock back on.. Temps at idle seem lower then before in the upper 20's. Like 28c, but on load using cinebench the cpu got to 92c to where prior it only saw about 70c, in warhammer total war 2 the cpu saw 67c, where it barely broke 57c prior.

Not sure what the issue was, i took the block off, the block spread the paste evently and thinnly no raised spots or blobs so there is good surface contact. I took the IHS off, same thing. The entire core is touching the IHS the paste is so thin you can see through it so there is no contact issues from what i can see anyway..

Why are the temps so much higher.. I mean damn, if i knew it was going to do this i would kept the damn thing on lol

You should have used liquid metal TIM. But what TIM did you use? Maybe it is crappier than what Intel uses.

AS5, i tried it again two more times, its making good contact on the die and ihs to block.. temps are still insaine.. damn this blows. Guess Ill order some liquid metal tim, i have some spray for electronics to keep moisture and so forth off, i can use that for the resistors on the chip to protect them in case.. but ya i wasnt expecting this at all.. When i saw my IHS it was really flat on the pcb nearly touching it, i kept telling myself dont do it,, it looks fine.. LOL and of course i never listen to that voice

cant even play warhammer now, the cpu is spiking to 80c... god wtf..

i ordered that thermal gr8zzle liquid metal.. Going to go to micricenter and get some new as5 and try maybe mx4 9r whatever as well.. maybe my 20 year ood as5 is worn out hah

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the difference between liquid metal pastes and as5 id imagine isnt the issue here. The pastes differ by only a few C.

Im guessing its something in the application.

maybe my 20 year ood as5 is worn out hah

That stuff will go bad. I would stick with MX4 or Gelid. Have used both and they're non-conductive. Also if you're going to use something like AS5 or liquid metal then cover the transistors with nail polish or LET

Use clear coat liquid nail polish to protect the components on the PCB around the core brick. You can also tape them off with masking tape and then remove the tape after applying the TIM. It also helps to trim the applicator brush when applying liquid metal TIM. I have found that gives more control.

Wow I used MX4 both on the die and IHS and my temps dropped 20c across the board. My take would be that AS5 is "stale" and it's heat transfer properties have weakened.

Maybe I'm mistaken but I though one of the improvements Intel made with Devil's Canyon was the improvement of the internal TIM. Am I thinking of a different gen?

Okay i ordered some liquid metal from Thermal grizzly last night, but i couldnt wait for it to come here, so i went to microcenter which is about 35 min away, i got some MX-4 and a 12gram tube of arctic silver 5.. Man micro center wanted 25$ for that AS5.. it was 15$ on amazon so i deff made them price match that..

Anyway, cleaned up the cpu ihs and block, with rubbing alcohol and applied a long line down the core of the cpu, and a X with 4 dabs between the X on the IHS . Turned it on, and my idle core temps are 25c, at 4400mhz 1.19v, and cinebench they were 53/55/57/49, Not sure where the 4th core is much lower then the rest, but the temps are back to normal now.. last night man.. i saw 92c with that old paste on cinebench... I use the AS5 because when i opened the top of the MX-4 the stuff was very goopy and much more watery then AS5, so i felt the AS5 being thicker would be better between the IHS and die due to less run out.. Ima take it apart again and try the MX-4 to see if it yeilds any improvments. I know AS5 needs 200 hours to settle in but ya.

Note dont use 20 year old paste !! lol.

I think Ima take my waterblock off and put the new stuff on as well even though my gpu never gets above 53c, still.

Im not going to use nail polish, nail polish isnt heat resistant, and it can dry out. What you should be using it stuff specially made for PC components. I have a whole spray can of the stuff that is heat,water, bug, dirt resistant. You can spray a video card with it, and dip it under water when its on.

The TIM on my 4790k was some hard like thick paste that broke off in chunks.. However the IHS was pretty much on the pcb it was hard to get a razor under that, deff wasnt thick like ive seen online. With the AS5 on, my cinebench temps are 2-3c cooler then with that stock TIM, well core 4 is 6c cooler but yea. Curious what the liquid metal would be, or if i should even use it. I dont like what im hearing on LM staining stuff, and leaving gritty chunks on the cpu die, and drying out

Last edited:
god damn, my 1080ti in warhammer is only at 42c right now, been playing it for 30 minutes.. By now the gpu was at 52c with that old paste on my new waterblock, still colder then 72c with the stock strix asus fans but its amazing how a paste can raise or lower temps by 10c like that .. I put the mx-4 on the gpu.

Its too bad nvidia limits their 1080's without more voltage i dunno how far i can really push this 1080ti

I found the liquid metal is tricky to apply properly. It took a couple attempts before I got it right. That stuff is super messy and toxic if you aren't careful. But, LM does work great when done correctly. I used it under the IHS, but I didn't want to use it on top for the staining and difficulty in cleanup. etc.

8c spread in core temps is not unusual at all. And that spread will vary with the overall temp level and also with different stress testing apps.

I just got the liquid metal from thermal grizzly, cleaned up the IHS and cpu. Wasnt hard to put on.. tiny little microscopic dot and spread it around with some pressure dabbing as you go to get the surfaces shiney. I covered the resistors on the cpu with the conformal spray for circuit boards first of course. I decided to put the conductonaut on my IHS top and my waterblock too. Temps are the same on idle, but on load in cinebench they are about 6c cooler then the AS5. That isnt TOO much of a difference for the price and the risk of frying your cpu or scratching the hell out of the DIE with liquid metal like in pics ive seen. And i didnt give AS5 time to really cure but it is a good difference nontheless

My 17 year old waterblock lol (yes i was using a old waterblock for 17 years)

66c

Stock TIM on new waterblock

60c average

AS5

56c average

liquid metal

50c average.

So liquid metal from the stock TIM was 11c cooler, and in total ive lowered my 4790k's temps with my new AIO and liquid metal by 16c . Thats a nice improvement. Curious how far ill be able to overclock this cpu now. I can do 4400mhz on 1.19v, highest ive gotten before was 4700mhz with 1.25v but temps always got too high for me after that.

Last edited:
We generally say that delidding combined with liquid metal TIM under the lid will give a 10c to 20c reduction in load temps. Your results fall well within that envelope. I would caution you on using liquid metal TIM between the IHS and the water block. If you ever have to remove the water block there is the risk of metal flakes falling onto other circuitry on the motherboard or the video card. I've only used Liquid Ultra but I'm assuming there might be the same issue with Thermal Grizzly.

Back