• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell and OS lock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shortyes

I have been hearing recently that Dell and other companies are starting to lock their computer OS. I tried finding more info on this since I ordered a Dell 4550 (dirt cheap) but hate winxp and going for win2k.

There is nothing on the Dell upport homepage. Anyone have more info aka first hand knowledge, site

Second is there a way aroudn this?

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
The OS CDs that ship with them won't install on another brand of computer. I don't know if they've hardcoded their hardware to only use windows.

OP
S

shortyes

So what you are saying is that I can still install any OS I want onto that machine? I just can't use the CD to install the OS that came with the machine to another computer?

I heard that I can't install OS other than the one that came with my computer. Tell me if I am wrong please.

cack01

You just can't use their CDs in another brand's comp.

You can still install any OS you want. If that wasn't the case, I'm sure many people would be pretty mad at M$.

zachj

Chainsaw Senior
You are unable to use that disk on any computer besides your own, but you can upgrade your OS to any previous/future/alternative OS you wish as long as you have driver support. I believe the restore CDs are locked in accordance with MS's pirating policy or some such thing.

Z