• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell Case Mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lance Thornton

Hi all, I have recently acquired a Dell Dimension m200a case that has a bad motherboard. My questions are these: Can I replace the mb with a standard atx board, and can I replace the psu with the same? My only reason for doing this is nostalgia, I had a computer exactly like this at a previous job many years ago and I have always liked the look of the case, but not the crappy components. Thanks in advance for the help.:)

You should give it a shot, but Dell cases are notoriously difficult to rebuild with off-the-shelf components.

Most Dell models that I've seen use non-standard standoff locations for the motherboard. If you get past that, finding a board with the same output jack layout will be the next challenge. (If you can't you'll have to cut out the Dell plate.) Then, you're going to have to replace the PSU because every Dell uses their proprietary PSU wire array.

None of this is brain surgery difficult, or even expensive. But you'll have to work for it.

Good luck!

Brian

Thanks all! I will begin my Anti-Dell case modding over the Christmas break. As for patience, I have some but probably not enough, according to my wife. I also have a boatload of tools to slice and dice any plastic or metal. Thanks for all opinions and I will post again after the Anti-Dell is done!:D

If it's an older Dell case, you should be able to work it. I replaced my Dell Dimension mobo with a Tyan one, and all I had to do was cut a hole in the back panel for the 2nd serial port. All the standoffs matched.

If it's a newer one, you'll have more trouble. Recent Dell mobos don't have the ports in the same place that normal ATX boards do.

Also, make sure you get a new PSU. Dell PSU's have power wires where ATX ones have grounds, and vice versa.

Back