• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell Dimension Overclocking?!!?!?!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xplos!ve

Hi, i have found an old Dell Dimension lying around and decided 2 overclock it as i never have overclocked a pc before but its really old and i dont know wether its possible 2 overclock its a Dell dimension p100t (a pentium 100mhz) with 32mb ram ive went into the bios and cant find where to change the fsb voltage etc so i thought its not possible 2 overclock can any1 tell me if it can? i dont know anything about this pc than i have already told u sorry

Avg

I've seen another post about this before, and they said it wasn't possible

ChillPhatCat

Waaaay back in the day I overclocked my P120 to 133MHz... little did I know that I had been originally sold a P100 under false pretenses... I figured this all out about 4 years after purchasing the comp... so I didn't really care.

Getting back on track, with that and other P1 chips I've found that P75-P133 chips run in that range as long as the temps are kept down and P150+ run 150~233 MHz depending on mobo...

Seeing how motherboards were set up back then I would bet that you could run that P100 @ 133 just by flipping the dip switches correctly... most of those old name brand comps (socket 7) had dip switches to control multiplier and FSB... multis from 1-3 and FSB 60 or 66 selectable...

Another thing you might check with something that old is upgrading the on-board L2 cache from the standard 256k to 512k or 1Mb... When I doubled my L2 I saw a very big improvement.

fhanderson

I put a Pentium 200mmx in A Dell P133S and I had to change the jumpers for the new processor. I would try changing the jumpers for the next higher fsb or the next higher mhz processor. Yo can try adding a cooling fan to the heatsink if you have a passive one.

OP
X

Xplos!ve

thx for all the info lads i will be trying it out as soon as i get my HDD back off my uncle :( *sigh* (ill be waiting a while) but anyways i shall try all that once again thx btw i have found an old pentium 2 200mhz but its a slot 7 and the pentium 100mhz is a slot 5 :( nm thx

OP
X

Xplos!ve

i have never actually overclocked before so i actually havent got a clue wot im doing i know i have 2 go into the bios and change aload of stuff but can any1 tell me wot i actually do?