• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell Mobo Blew--looking to salvage what I can.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mbigna

The motherboard on a friend's Dell Dimension 4600 went bad and Dell wants $159 to send him a new motherboard or $275 to send someone to replace it--HA!(it's out of warrantee). So, I told him I'd pitch the box and salvage all the parts including the memory and CPU and spend a lot less than $159 to get it up and running again. I would just get a new case and mobo--and perhaps a new HSF as well.

I go to Dell's website and enter the "Service Tag" number to get all the configuration information for this PC (a listing of the components) only to find that the site doesn't work.

So, I get the memory out easily enough:

2 X Infineon 128 MB DDR400, CL3
PC32000-30330-C0

Finally, after soaking the heat sink in Goof Off, I manage to pry off the P4 without damaging anything.

Intel Pentium 4
2.40GHZ/512/533
SL6PC CHINA
5329A860

This is basically a backup desktop system for business use and we're not all that interested in overclocking it (well, not at this time anyway). We're just looking for a very stable but cheap board. Preferrably, we're looking for a mini-atx size board with integrated LAN. We can still use the AGP video and PCI Fax/Modem and Soundblaster card that the original machine came with. We would, however, like to upgrade the system memory to 512 MB and use the existing memory if possible. He wants a brand new motherboard with a manufacturer's warrantee.

I also have a question about the Dell PSU. I remember a while back that Dell wasn't using standard wiring and that you could burn out a board using a Dell PSU on a standard board (or visa versa). I compared the wiring on a standard PSU and noticed that the standard PSU has a white lead (about pin 5) and the Dell PSU is empty at that spot. All the other colors match up however. (I didn't actually take my multimeter to each lead to compare voltages when they were plugged in and running.) Am I safe using this Dell PSU with whatever new mobo we get--assuming it isn't grossly underpowered?

So you took this questionable PSU off a system who's MB went bad, it maybe wired in a non-standard fashion, and it's likely wimpy besides? Uh I think I'd toss the PSU. :)

Yes, yo can get a cheap PSU that is as good or better than the Dell's for $30-$40. As far as mobos go, I've been through a lot in my days and there is cheap, then there is good. The ONLY one I've had that were both is my current Shuttle. I use AMD but I'd recommend looking in that direction as they make Intel boards as well. Stay the heck away from these cheap brands ECS, BioStar, PCChips. I'm sure there are others, but those are on my BANNED list.

TimoneX said:
So you took this questionable PSU off a system who's MB went bad, it maybe wired in a non-standard fashion, and it's likely wimpy besides? Uh I think I'd toss the PSU. :)
The PSU works fine, actually. I've checked the voltages, albeit not under a load, and all the rails are within spec. It's just that Dell doesn't label their parts with a "THIS IS 350 W" label anywhere and it can be a pain to try to discover the specs on their PSUs at all.

Anyway--this is more of a solicitation for suggestions for a MOTHERBOARD, mainly. Should I take this discussion over to the Intel Motherboards area?

if you're willing to spend anything, if its 478 (i would expect it is) get a p4-800 series mobo... they all good (i got a p4p800 rev2.- its awesome)

mbigna said:
The PSU works fine, actually. I've checked the voltages, albeit not under a load, and all the rails are within spec. It's just that Dell doesn't label their parts with a "THIS IS 350 W" label anywhere and it can be a pain to try to discover the specs on their PSUs at all.

Anyway--this is more of a solicitation for suggestions for a MOTHERBOARD, mainly. Should I take this discussion over to the Intel Motherboards area?

Sorry I took this:

mbigna said:
I also have a question about the Dell PSU. I remember a while back that Dell wasn't using standard wiring and that you could burn out a board using a Dell PSU on a standard board (or visa versa). I compared the wiring on a standard PSU and noticed that the standard PSU has a white lead (about pin 5) and the Dell PSU is empty at that spot. All the other colors match up however. (I didn't actually take my multimeter to each lead to compare voltages when they were plugged in and running.) Am I safe using this Dell PSU with whatever new mobo we get--assuming it isn't grossly underpowered?

...to mean you wanted opinions on the PSU as well, my mistake...I guess. As I didn't feel I had much to offer in the way of Intel mb suggestions I didn't make one. Guess I should've realized you were determined to re-use the PS and didn't actually care what anyone had to say on the subject...despite inquiring on just that subject.

Timonex--

No need to get into a huff. My question wasn't about whether or not the PSU works. It does--at least for a Dell motherboard. I'm more concerned whether the wiring on the pin-outs are the same on Dell motherboards as they are on 'standard' motherboards. I only have a slight concern about the power output of the PSU--and only because it isn't labelled on the PSU. The fact is, that it ran perfectly fine with all the drives and peripherals attached to this motherboard. So, I wouldn't expect this PSU to be underpowered with a different motherboard with the same peripherals.

actually, scratch the fact bout getting an ASUSTek p4-800... they use the standard 20-pin and 4-pin connectors... i don't think dell does that (they use proprietary, and RDRAM.. GO DELL!!!)

I'm most definately not in a huff. :) Just offering my opinion. I'd toss the PSU in favor of a known quantity. They're too important to system stability these days with processors eating up power like candy. Perhaps if you hooked it up to a "dispensable" mobo and tested it under heavy load for voltage sags accross the 3.3, 5, & 12v rails and it was fine perhaps it'd be trustworthy. Having had some experience with Dell systems and their not too infrequent failures I wouldn't expect the PSU in question to have a whole lot of headroom even assuming it's in perfect health and wired in standard fashion.

For a nice motherboard, pick the ASUS P4S800. Comes with three DDR slots so you can put in the current 2x128 + an additional 128 or 256 if you like.

A simple cooler should do fine, no need to dig too deep there. A new case is just a matter of taste and pricing, pick whatever you like and fits your needs. Usually comes with a PSU too, so no problemo. For that 159$, hes gonna get a whole revised system that will do much better then before.

as said: NEVER connect a dell psu to a standard ATX mobo. It will kill the mobo and/or PSU. Use for target practice instead.

Sjaak said:
For a nice motherboard, pick the ASUS P4S800. Comes with three DDR slots so you can put in the current 2x128 + an additional 128 or 256 if you like.
This is newegg.com's description:

- Specifications -

Supported CPU: Intel Pentium 4(HT)/Celeron Processors
Chipset: SiS 648FX + SiS 963L
FSB: 800/533/400MHz
RAM: 3x DIMM support DDR400/333/266/200 Max 3GB(2x DIMM for DDR400/333 only)
IDE: 2x UltraDMA 133 up to 4 Devices
Slots: 1x AGP 8X, 5x PCI, 1 x Wi-Fi
Ports: 2xPS2,1xCOM,1xLPT,SPDIF Out,6xUSB2.0(Rear 4),1xLAN,Audio Ports
Onboard Audio: AD1980 6-Channel Codec
Onboard LAN: 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet
Form Factor: ATX

I hope this means that 2 of those DIMM slots are reserved for 333/400 and the third can use anything (and NOT mean that ONLY those 2 slots will support 333/400 and the third one will NOT support 333/400).

Hm ok i really believe i have seen one with three slots but that must've been another then.

The ECS you stated is a good choice instead. According to the user reviews there, its also a nice overclocker.

Sjaak--

You are correct about there being 3 slots. It's just that two are reserved (or exclusively) for DDR333/400. (I only highlighted the reserved part).

There ARE other versions of this board which only have two slots.

Last edited:
The P4S has no dual channel, so theres no need for two channels of the same size and speed. Id say theres a 99.9% chance i will work flawless if you put in the slower CPU and the slower ddr.

The manufacturers just put those higher specs in because it was most common by the time the mobo was released.

As stated before ECS SUCKS!!!! Stay the frig away from them, they're JUNK!!! I just got rid of one a few months ago. Also SIS SUCKS, Via does too but not as bad. Get the INTEL chipset or NFORCE!!! I have nothing to gain by deceiving you, I only wish for you to learn from my mistakes and not repeat them.

theMonster said:
As stated before ECS SUCKS!!!! Stay the frig away from them, they're JUNK!!! I just got rid of one a few months ago. Also SIS SUCKS, Via does too but not as bad. Get the INTEL chipset or NFORCE!!! I have nothing to gain by deceiving you, I only wish for you to learn from my mistakes and not repeat them.

The ECS motherboard he mentioned above has alot of positive user reviews. It may be a little too quick to say 'ECS SUCKS!!!!' or 'they're JUNK!!!' without backing it up.

How many ECS mobo's did you actually own? do you have any benchmarks or in-depth experience to back it up?

Just saying that what you think may not count for everyone here, and in order to convince people you need good reasons. Just saying that 'they suck' isnt helping anyone.

Before you go totally writing off the Dell psu, check back on their support site and check out the documentation on that system. I was researching that very fact a few months ago for a Dell system and I found out that on that system I was researching, Dell had indeed used a standard ATX psu. However, the idea about getting a new psu with a new mobo is still a very good one because Dell is known for trying to get away with the wimpiest psu they think will last the warrantee and it could very well be the psu that took out the mobo. You can get a Thermaltake 420 for around $40 and they are a decent psu; I have 2 of them in folding rigs.

For a mobo, don't overlook Newegg's refurb department either. You might find a good deal on an Intel chipset socket 478 mobo and I've also had real good luck with the Egg's reburb mobo's.

I've had 4 ECS motherboads, the 1st one was DOA, the second had a problem with not being able to sort out the IRQs and DMAs internally and never could get devices to work with it, board 3 had the sound chip go out on it, board 4 the usb ceased working on it. Many people have had issues with ECS and their parent corp PCCHIPS. Support is in Taiwaan and they are hard to reach by phone and have no answers when they do. E-mail them a question and IF you get a response it is weeks later. Is that good enough for you sir?

Back