• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell workstation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cadman420

I am folding under a Dell workstation with dual 3.0 ghz Xeons and with an ATI 4670, I will sometimes get a message that I have reached a critical limit on my power supply and the system will shut down. Does this mean that I have run out of power? This only happens once in awhile, not on a daily basis. Is there any way I could allocate CPU power to my folding since I am running 2 CPU's.
Thanks

mxthunder

I would shut down the client on the GPU, since its probably not producing much PPD anyways. You are getting that message because with all three components running at full power, you are taxing the PSU too much. Workstation PSU's are not really meant to deliver that kind of a load 24/7

OP
cadman420

cadman420

Thanks, that is what I thought was happening. I will try that and see if I get the error message again.

Mr.Guvernment

welcome to the world of dell, they install a PSU that can power the parts you ordered in it, and often not much more, maybe another harddrive or a low end vid card.

OP
cadman420

cadman420

yeah gotta love it....Since I install a 320gb slave to the system along with my ATI video card. I think I maxed out my PSU on this thing. I will say that folding for 2 days and the Xeons I have in here are only hitting 45c ( or I have some bad sensors ) LOL

Mr.Guvernment

Dell's cooling is pretty good actually, they use massive heatsinks and usually 90mm fans on them.

OP
cadman420

cadman420

I am hoping so. I would like to add another HD to this system for more file storage but that would just about kill off anything else I would like to do. I don't normally buy pre-builds but got this system off ebay for 200.00, can't beat that price for 2 3.0 ghz Xeon's, 4 gb ram 2 dvd burners and a 250gb HD.