• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Describe your maintenance routine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Calculusaurus

What do you guys use periodically to maintain your system? Do you defragment your hard drive every week? Every month? Do you run Ad-Aware or Spybot once a week? Once a day? Do you have an antivirus running 24/7? Firewall? Do you check MBM5 every few days to make sure your temperatures are ok? Do you use Samurize instead?

Me:

I defragment about once a month. I never get around to doing it more often.

I run Ad-Aware every 5-20 days, depending on how much browsing I do.

I constantly run Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition in the background, with a very occasional full scan -- once a month, maybe.

I use an MSI utility called CoreCenter to monitor temperatures. The readings are faulty with the BIOS version I have, so I don't run CoreCenter 24/7.

My nVidia firewall is up occasionally. I found out that, when on, it often hinders my browsing experience. So I turn the firewall on and off every so often.

I have system restore turned off.

----

I put this in the software forum because I'm mostly curious about what software you use to maintain your computer -- windows-integrated or third party. Also, I think this would be a good way for all of us a good idea of what a good maintenance involves. Thanks.

dicecca112

Heatware Profile
I use WinDoctor (Norton System Utilities) to check for windows errors, SpeedDisk (Norton System Utilities) to defrag, use Adaware and SpySweeper to get rid of adware, and Norton Antivirus to check for virus, as well as Winbound system Monitor to check temps and voltages. I run everything except for antivirus everyday. Antivirus is run once a week.

subconcept

I run adaware and spyboy search and destory every so often, although spyware and adware has been less of a problem since I switched to Opera. I am loving it.

I don't run any anti virus crap, in my opinion its a waste of resources. And I defrag my storage partitions every month or so, and I format my primary windows drive every 2 or 3 months to keep it clean with a fresh install. I also clean the registry every once and a while with RegCleaner.

ErikD

I have AVG running in the background 24/7, and it does an automatic update and scan every night. Turn my puter on when I get in from work, it does its update and scan, and by the time I am ready to use it everything is done.

Run Syagte Personal Firewall 24/7.

Run Spybot and Adaware about once a week or so.

Defrag monthly.

Clean registry on occassion, but I don't really change all that much anyway.

Do a clean install of Windows about once a year or so.

Fightingpiper

I run PerfectDisk once a week to defrag my network...great to be able to schedule it to do the whole network. Also run adaware, spybot. Also run AVG on all the rigs.

IZON

power up...

CWShredder: No CWS trojans anymore since I ditched SpyStopper.

Ad-aware, SpyBot SnD: Since switching to FireFox 0.9, neither of the scans reveal spies or trackers anymore.

Diskeeper 8 to defrag: This is set to 'set and forget' and runs automatically every four hours for C drive, and as it sees fit for the other drives. Runs quietly in the background even with the most demanding applications running.

The main 80Gb drive is partitioned into five drives, with the OS and ancillary apps on C taking up 1.8Mb.

jv16 powertools to scrub the registry once a month, and to hunt down stray registry values after apps have been removed - actually my favourite tool :)

AntiVir PE running in the background. Usually run scan at start up and just before shutting down. Not as fast as NOD32 but just as effective imo (and free :)).

Everything backed up to a networked drive (in the loft) and to a second internal drive, twice a month with Acronis True Image

Last edited:
OP
C

Calculusaurus

I'm glad to hear everyone's response. In a way, it just verified that I'm not really missing on anything huge. However, I'd like to pick up a registry cleaner. While I haven't removed any programs yet--I'm using a new computer--I inevitably will. What is either a good registry cleaner, or a good FAQ/guide that lists good registry cleaners?

As far as using firewalls to maintain a sound computer, I've always had a bad experience with them. Whenever my firewall was on, I'd run into weird internet problems: firefox wouldn't load pages while IE would; AIM would spontaneously disconnect and reconnect; etc. I got so fed up with it that I now leave it off 24/7. I went 2 years using cable without a firewall of any kind and experienced virtually no problems. With this new system I'm using, I'll hold off on a firewall until someone suggests one that works.

stool

Diskeeper defrag every night(automatic as its on 24/7), with a directory consolidation once a week.
Daily updates and running of Spybot and Adaware.
SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard running in the backround.
Daily updates and running of AVG antivirus and Kaspersky antivirus.
Weekly check and DL as necessary of MS security updates.

OP
C

Calculusaurus

ZoneAlarm also seemed a bit intrusive. I haven't tried it on my new computer yet, but it managed to interfere with a lot of my internet activity when i tried it on my old one.

-edit- haha, i know, that's what a firewall is *supposed* to do. however, zonealarm somehow made internet browsing, ftp transfers, and IMing a pain. Admittedly, I could have been using it incorrectly somehow :D

Lat

i use sygate personal firewall, and i use trendmicro's housecall once in a long while (maybe every 3-4 weeks)

spyware is non-existant since i switched to firefox :)

OP
C

Calculusaurus

Lat said:
spyware is non-existant since i switched to firefox :)

Same here. I have gotten a few cookie "data miners", which to me, are virtually harmless; but I haven't gotten anything other than that since I switched to firefox.

Back to registry cleaners... I have been uninstalling a few items from my hard drive lately, and would like to keep things clean from the start. RegSupreme costs money, which I don't want to spend. Is RegCleaner good?

nikhsub1

Unoriginal Macho Moderator
My system is up 24/7 and needs to be... this is what I do:
NAV scans every night (scheduled task)
Spybot S&D runs every night (scheduled task)
Diskkeeper 8 runs every night (scheduled task)
Ad-Aware runs every Monday (scheduled task) to open, must run manually
I run zone alarm pro for a software firewall and am behind a D-Link DFL-80 hardware firewall
Manual check weekly or so of MS updates.

I have never had a virus, nasty malware or spyware! Knock on wood...