• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

designers block? need some help over here!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stikphysh

first off, let me appologize for my poor drafting skills.

ok, heres the deal... as some of you probably know i am designing a cube network server system... thingy. it will basicaly be a cube shaped box. im trying to lay out how everthing will fit in. :bang head

i am thinking i will build it where the cube is devided into two sections, one above the other, kinda like a two story house. the motherboard and junk will be on the bottom while the hard drives and Power Supply will be on top. for this system, there will be no optical drives, so thats not an issue.

i drew up a couple pics to help you, as well as myself, visualize the system, but the problem is, i need to find a way to cram in a router and a switch. they dont have to be at the front as i can run short patch cables to the front where u will plug the network computers in.

feel free to suggest a complete overhaul on the design or anything (so long as it retains the basic cube shape) as this is just in very early stages of designing. :eh?:

Last edited:
This is about what it would look like if you were looking at the rear of the box.
9uf5

And this is what you would see if you looked straight down from the top. i added the cpu just so you could get an idea of the layout, but that would be on the bottom layer of the system. the back of the case is the bottom of this picture (if that makes sense)
9uev

sorry, i had a feeling that would confuse. the cpu is on the bottom layer with the motherboard. i just figured id draw it in there for reference.i probably shouldnt have even put it in the pic

In your original post you say the hard drives and cpu will be on top... I assume you meant psu? That's probably what confused Aphex Tom.

oh, you are correct indimint. sorry for the confusion aphex. guess i should post BEFORE the drinks from now on. DOH!.

the problem has been edited now.

stikphysh

Have You make an actual full scale model of your case out of cardboard yet?

not yet. i plan on doing that once i figure out where im going to put the networking hardware in there. i get the feeling im going to make this whole thing a bit bigger, like 12x12x12. what do yall think?

Yeah Id go with 12x12x12. Make two models. One 11" and one 12" then take a look at the space inside and decide which one you want to go with.

aight... time to find some cardboard. does that corugated stuff work well for models, or is it easier to use the thin stuff like you would get off a cereal box, and where can u get tons of it? its a stupid question i know, but if someone knows a great place it would save me a bit of trouble.

Just use some thin cardborad for start. Then once you decide which size. Use some thicker card

Back