• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Desktop Barton AthlonXP 2500+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dedembo

Registered
I have an AthlonXP2500+ desktop CPU and I cant get a performance difference after 11.5 multi. My mainboard lets me change the muliplier upto 13 but it doesnt make any difference at all. Do you think somehow my CPU doesnt have unlocked multiplier after 11.5 or my mainboard has a problem?
Another question is my Kingston Ram (PC3200) is 3 3 3 8 it think this is the crappiest ram I could have bought. Any comments on the ram?

jonspd

Super Speedy Senior
I think your cpu may be locked but to find out we would need the stepping from the black sticker on the cpu itself. try to download cpu-z here

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php#download

and see if your muitlpier changes try something like 9 or 10 if you have a desktop barton thats locked your muiltpier will be 11 with a 166 fsb. You could try for higher fsb maybe do the vdd mod or use alitte higher vcore or vddim.

OP
D

dedembo

Registered
As I am at work now i cant do it at the moment but what i can say is when my multiplier is 11 i get one result then i set it to 11.5 i get higher value. This is the breaking point after 11.5 the resulting frequency doesnt change at all. But as you said i will check it with CPUZ later on.
What do you mean by "do the vdd mod"?
and my system doesnt crash at 190 FSB, 11.5 multiplier do I really need to increase Vcore or Vdim in this case?

and

considering my FSB is 190, my Ram Frequency is 380Mhz so still it is below 400 (my ram is PC3200) do i need to OC my ram as well in this case?

thanks

jonspd

Super Speedy Senior
When you overclock your fsb you are overclocking your ram as well if 190 isnt a limit for you then I would try for a higher fsb. If you can change form 11 to 11.5 then I dont see y you cant use up to 12.5 after that you want be able to get a higher muilt I think 12.5 is the highiest.

vdd

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9237

vcore and vddim

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5167

Take warning you can kill hardware doing volt mod's I have a few dead part's floating around.

Last edited:
OP
D

dedembo

Registered
now i am confused. i was really sure that there was a difference between 11 and 11.5 but now i doubt it because i have just made a calculation. My CPU frequency (according to Sisoft Sandra) is 2009 which is 190x11 and it doesnt change at all. so u must be right my multiplier is not unlocked but how? I read in many forums that desktop AthlonXP 2500+ is unlocked. They did OC and got the result. Should I try another AthlonXP2500+ to see if it is locked as well?

:(

jonspd

Super Speedy Senior
All the new barton's are hard locked the mobile barton's aren't. You can get a mobile 2500 as most people have and have a unlocked muilt or you can get a used older barton 2500 that is known to be unlocked by the stepping on it. I have a regular barton I bought about 6 month's ago in one of my folding rig's thats unlocked but all the new one desktop one's are locked.

11x200= 2200 and 11x 210=2310 so if you can work on getting a higher fsb you will have a good setup if you looking for the overclock.

OC Detective

Just because you can adjust the multi in the bios does not actually mean the change takes effect. If the cpu is super locked the change in the bios will be ignored and revert back to the 11 multi. Virtually all desktop cpus were super locked after week 39 of last year.

OP
D

dedembo

Registered
Thanks jonspd

I think this is what i needed now i know that i cant change the muliplier :( and as you gave me the link whatever I do I may get bad results because of the south bridge voltage limitations so I am not sure whether to by a good cooling system or not. because with the money i spend on it i can sell my XP2500 and buy a better CPU maybe wait a little longer and buy Athlon 64

well my OC adventure lasted short but thenk you for you help anyway

jonspd

Super Speedy Senior
I started overclocking with a pally core about 2+ yr's ago now everything I can overclock around this house get's it for me it's the fun or it and more like a hobby it never end's in my book you can overclock overvolt so many things and then you become one with your system instead of system is the one.

OP
D

dedembo

Registered
yeah i think overclocking is a passion, not to save some money. For me it was just to pay less to get a good result. I am into emulation and new emulated games need better performance like P4 4000 Ghz and above so it is not very possible with existing CPU's today but at least i thought i can buy AthlonXP2500+ and OC it so I get like P4 3000 equivelant CPU for 100$ that was the origin of my OC adventure. But now i know that it is not that simple because I must pay like 100$ for the cooling and I am not sure whether to continue this adventure but i must admit it is still tempting. I will check this site regularly and see what is happening.

take care