• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Desperate here, no video on AMD setup, parents going to kill me :me cries:

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

i810 Forever

Hooked everything up, had the HSF & AS3 on, fired it up. Got the ASUS A7V333 startup picture, and went into the BIOS and selected the CPU speed (1400Mhz). I checked to make sure all my drives were showing up, the Floppy & Hard drive were, but the CD-ROM was not for some reason. So I restarted, checked the POST screen, and CD-ROM not recognized again. I shut down and put the CD-ROM & the HD on the same chain, and got no video. Shut down, tried them back on separate channels, no video. Tried just the hard drive, no video. Just the CD-ROM, no video. No matter what combination of drives, no video.

I'm extremely frustrated at this point. I checked all connections, reconnected everything, nothing was loose or connected improperly. I have two parents breathing down my neck saying "We paid $300, and it dosn't even work?? :mad: ". ASUS tech support closed for the day at 5:00 Pacific, so can't find any help there. I havn't even done any studying yet, been working a few hours trying to figure out what's wrong and I'm frustrated to my max.

Can anyone out there help me before I run headfirst into a brick wall? :eek:
Severely desperate, anyone that can offer any tips or ideas as to how to fix it Ill be extremely thankful. The full system specs are:

Antec case w/ 350W Antec PSU
Asus A7V333 (non-raid)
AMD Athlon XP 1600+ AGOIA Y 212 w/ Thermosonic Thermoengine HSF & AS3
256MB Mushkin PC-3200
Hercules 3D Prophet 4500 AGP
80GB Seagate Barracuda hard drive
52x Creative Labs CD-ROM

{PMS}fishy

Disconnect everything, and pull all PCI cards. Reset the CMOS, check that the memory and the video card are fully seated. Cross fingers and hit the power button.

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
tell folks to chill , its in good hands.
after u did what fishy says. couse hes correct might wanna check the compatibility of the 3dprophet with asus a7v333.couse it sounds the mobo/cpu/ram is fine.
try is in another machine if u can. if its the case might have to take it back and exchange it.

i tried a old voodoo2 with my last rig.wouldnt recognize it. so does happen.

btw the cdrom try switching the cable with another one. and make sure the cable isnt in backwards. some dont have the little notch on em to make sure it only goes in one way.

OC Detective

I assume you are getting no beeps or sound messages? It does sound as though the vid card is not seated properly. Though when you get that back up and running you may still have the problem with the cd rom!

OP
i810 Forever

i810 Forever

Ok I checked the vid card again, its in fine.

Took out the CMOS battery, but it back in, still no video. :(

I did a google.com search for "no video A7V333" and found a suggestion on a site to plug in your headphones or speakers on the built in sound on the board to see if it literally talks and tells you what the problem is. So I tried it and I get "System failed CPU test." Do I now have a bad processor? :confused:

anencephic

Registered
is the light on motherboard lit on? do you hear a beep when the computer starts (thats the bios checking hardware) if you see the light on, but no beep - turn it off completely, take out the memory, start it up - it should beep like crazy, which will mean that your memory is fine - do the same step for CPU, video card, i suggest that you take everything out from the PCI slots when you do this test. the best thing to do though is to test your video card on some other computer, cpu, memory - if they all work, that means you motherboard is screwed up - in either case you can try resetting the bios by taking out the battery, if it doesnt work, you can reset the bios completely - what yo have to do is find some metal wire, about 2cm, what you do with it, is you reset the bios the hard way - to do that you will have to locate two small soldered dots somewhere around the battery, you connect them with the wire, wait for 5-10s and then start up the pc (the pc has to be completely off when you do that), if it doesnt help i dont know what else to suggest, it is difficult to suggest something when you dont see what is actually going on...
good luck! ;)

anencephic

Registered
almost forgot, when you perform the test for memory, cpu, vid card, disconnect all of hard drives and cd-rom, oh and try just the hard drive or just the cd-rom!

SickBoy

Inactive Moderator
i810 Forever said:
Ok I checked the vid card again, its in fine.

Took out the CMOS battery, but it back in, still no video. :(

I did a google.com search for "no video A7V333" and found a suggestion on a site to plug in your headphones or speakers on the built in sound on the board to see if it literally talks and tells you what the problem is. So I tried it and I get "System failed CPU test." Do I now have a bad processor? :confused:

Make sure the CPU is all the way into the socket and that the HSF is securely (and evenly) on, and the fan is plugged in. I would doubt that you fried your CPU without knowing it, you woulda smelled smoke or something.

sb

anencephic

Registered
SickBoy said:

Make sure the CPU is all the way into the socket and that the HSF is securely (and evenly) on, and the fan is plugged in. I would doubt that you fried your CPU without knowing it, you woulda smelled smoke or something.

sb
Yea, i agree with sickboy, i mean there is no way of frying cpu without smelling/seeing the smoke, even if you did, check if the cpu is black or something...

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
ok i see this is gonna need better measures.
if its failing cpu test and other things down u need to pull it all.
take the mobo off the mobo plate.put it bare on he static bag it came in or a peice of bare wood.leave the cpu,ram,video card.
now plug the psu into it and fire it up.

this is a common thing that happens. its happened to my mobo and i thought it was dead. anyhow see how it does with just bare parts i told ya.this elimnates mobo grounding out on the case.

if this works u need to make sure every standoff on the mobo plate has the paper washers and ALL standoffs are installed where needed.

OP
i810 Forever

i810 Forever

The HSF is on good, and the fan is plugged in to the CPU fan header on the board. I'll take it off and put it on again to make sure its on extra-perfect.

I will also try completely clearing the CMOS using the wire method.

The green LED on the board lights up, but the system just plain isn't starting up. (Had similar symptoms when I tried a 100Mhz fsb Celeron in a 66Mhz fsb only system). The HD does not spin and dosn't get warm at all.

I freaked out the first time I got no video thinking the chip burnt up, but I had the side off the entire time and there was no smoke or strange smell.

I went threw the Asus AMD motherboard specific area of the forum here & other forums using a google search and a bunch of other people have had the same "System CPU Test Failed" error with perfectly good parts that work in other systems, and no resolutions are listed. :(

I'll try everything suggested and I'll call ASUS tech support tomorrow to see if they can help me out at all. If I do everything and theres no resolution, I think I'll be in the market for a new board :(

mdcomp

Classic Administrator
I know this sounds dumb, but the first time I built a pc I forgot thermal paste, lol. Did you put on thermal grease?

OP
i810 Forever

i810 Forever

I used thermal paste of course, AS3.

Deathstar, I also found what you suggested for taking the entire board out of the case in the ASUS specific AMD forum and ASUS tech support recommended that to a person that was having almost the same problem as myself. He posted that the board worked outside his case, but back in the case, even with paper washers/electrical tape he was still having problems. :(

mdcomp

Classic Administrator
i810 Forever said:
I used thermal paste of course, AS3.

Deathstar, I also found what you suggested for taking the entire board out of the case in the ASUS specific AMD forum and ASUS tech support recommended that to a person that was having almost the same problem as myself. He posted that the board worked outside his case, but back in the case, even with paper washers/electrical tape he was still having problems. :(

O yeah, that has happened to me before. Sometimes if you mess up mounting it, put too many washers in or something it won't work. I just remounted and it worked, well guess thats not the case for you. Good Luck!!!
:D

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
yeh ive seen that. but in most cases it just needs to be remounted in. and done more carefully. mine did the same exact thing as yours. nothing would happen but i was getting the green light on the mobo.it cleared mine up.

take my advice or not. but i got mine working!

OP
i810 Forever

i810 Forever

Don't have the time tonight but I will try remounting tomorrow. :eek:

Should I cover all the metal rings where the board is bolted to the motherboard with electrical tape?

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
i wouldnt. just do the off the mobo plate thing,make sure it really isnt fried. then just normally reinstall it.if the reinstall still couses grounding then u might have to tape the holes.

mine cleared up,without the tape.just dont miss no holes in the mobo make sure everyhole has a standoff and a paper washer.gl i think it will be just fine tho.

dxiw

Disabled
I think i know what your problem is the cpu failed thing happens sometimes after working in the case, you can ask some of these guys I got so scared when it happenned to me. All you got to do is take off your heatsink wipe off the artic silver put some new artic silver and put on teh heatsink. Then try to boot up. That will fix it if its a heatsink mounting or contact problem whihc is often invisible to see. Also, if that doesn't work...

Did you by any chance check your cpu temps when you first booted? Its possible that your heatsink wasn't making good contact with the cpu and your temp is in the 70's if that is the case especially with that athlon its probably fried to a crisp. But once again the only way to know for sure is take off the heatsink and look at the chip if its fried rreturn and get a new one. If its not put the heatsink back on make sure you use artic silver according to tis instructions. Make sure the heatsink is mounted on correctly. Now boot up again if you get the same error then your cpu is probably fried or something fell near the cpu socket and is shorting something.

Now with the board try to clear cmos give fire it up.

If that doesn't work take the board out of the case and test it. see if it works now.

Check that when you remount in case you make sure you dont have too many standoffs as they will shortout your board.

NOw plug jsut mem,cpu and video and give it a boot. if that works plug everything else in, make sure your drives are on cable select (master and slave can be finicky with asus at times). make sure the pwoer to everything is plugged and give it a shot.

I seriously think you will be alrite.

Good luck to you man.