• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Despise MX1100, like MX518, what's the upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tom10167

I had an MX518, I liked it okay, wish it was cordless though. Picked up an MX1100

worst mouse I ever used. DPI+ was way too fast until you slowed it wayyyyyy down in settings, DPI- was WAYYY TOO slow. Turned off acceleration and adjusted every which way and could NEVER get a good feel for it. It just felt horribly unprecise and I'm hardly picky. this is the first mouse ever(dating back to windows 3.1 days) that I felt this way about.

So what's going to have a tracking similar to the 518 but maybe wireless or a little bit better in other ways?

Unless you guys know about some trick to make the 1100 a little better.

Bobnova

I love my MX518, I'd like to know what the modern equivalent is in case mine eats it, hence I'm going to watch this thread like a hawk :D

Marshmallow64

I hope they never stop production of this mouse. Ever since I made the change 3 years ago I have loved it. This is my second one but the first one I had to get rid of because soda spilled on it and I broke it while cleaning it.

I have been on the lookup for a good deal to buy a backup for myself, that's how great the mouse is.

Leviathan41

I had an MX518, I liked it okay, wish it was cordless though. Picked up an MX1100

worst mouse I ever used. DPI+ was way too fast until you slowed it wayyyyyy down in settings, DPI- was WAYYY TOO slow. Turned off acceleration and adjusted every which way and could NEVER get a good feel for it. It just felt horribly unprecise and I'm hardly picky. this is the first mouse ever(dating back to windows 3.1 days) that I felt this way about.

So what's going to have a tracking similar to the 518 but maybe wireless or a little bit better in other ways?

Unless you guys know about some trick to make the 1100 a little better.
Assuming the MX1100 uses the same Setpoint software as my G5, the DPI of the + and - can be changed to whatever you want. Those are just preset values, you can go into the software and define any number up to the max DPI.

However, what I do is set the mouse at maximum DPI and change the sensitivity slider to my liking (I personally use 4/11 on the slider at 2000 DPI). Also, make sure mouse acceleration (sometimes called mouse smoothing) is off in both your Setpoint software and your games. Another thing that I have noticed that helps the overall "feel" of the mouse is to make sure SetPoint implementation is checked instead of OS implementation in the settings.

Bobnova

I had to clean dust out of the scrollwheel optics on my mx518, i was terrified i was going to kill it completely.
I'm really tempted to buy a spare and store it in a safety deposit box or something.

BossBorot

I would say that the closest equivalent of the mx518 in wireless is the Logitech G7. The G7 has the same physical shape as the mx518 and is wireless. The G7 also has a tilting scroll wheel that can click to the left and right. Unfortunately there is only one thumb button on the G7 unlike the mx518 and it has more weight on it.

Personally I never want to move from my mx518 but sometimes you do need wireless unfortunately.