• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

determining wattage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gandi

I am wondering how you figure out how many watts of heat my cpu puts out. because yeah pelts have to do with watts and I don't want to burn up anything. simple terms hehe.

wattage=current*voltage

Electrical power is measured in watts. In an electrical system power (P) is equal to the voltage multiplied by the current.

P = VI
The water analogy still applies. Take a hose and point it at a waterwheel like the ones that were used to turn grinding stones in watermills. You can increase the power generated by the waterwheel in two ways. If you increase the pressure of the water coming out of the hose, it hits the waterwheel with a lot more force and the wheel turns faster, generating more power. If you increase the flow rate, the waterwheel turns faster because of the weight of the extra water hitting it.

In an electrical system, increasing either the current or the voltage will result in higher power. Let's say you have a system with a 6-volt light bulb hooked up to a 6-volt battery. The power output of the light bulb is 100 watts. Using the equation above, we can calculate how much current in amps would be required to get 100 watts out of this 6-volt bulb.

You know that P = 100 W, and V = 6 V. So you can rearrange the equation to solve for I and substitute in the numbers.

I = P/V = 100 W / 6 V = 16.66 amps
What would happen if you use a 12-volt battery and a 12-volt light bulb to get 100 watts of power?

100 W / 12 V = 8.33 amps
So this system produces the same power, but with half the current.

P=VI and PIV=SUX

Gandi (Jul 25, 2001 01:11 p.m.):
I am wondering how you figure out how many watts of heat my cpu puts out. because yeah pelts have to do with watts and I don't want to burn up anything. simple terms hehe.

Skip all the formulae and goto the utilities section and download a proggie called "RADIATE".

It'll tell ya your watts.

hooziewhatsit (Jul 28, 2001 09:12 p.m.):
so how do you get radiate to work? when I try to update it, it says there was some error, and doesn't give me any cpus to work with....

thanks

I had the same error! Follow Nancy Regan's advice, just say 'no'... at the beginning when it asks you if you want to update or whatever. It will run.

ZX-Tex (Jul 28, 2001 09:17 p.m.):
hooziewhatsit (Jul 28, 2001 09:12 p.m.):
so how do you get radiate to work? when I try to update it, it says there was some error, and doesn't give me any cpus to work with....

thanks

I had the same error! Follow Nancy Regan's advice, just say 'no'... at the beginning when it asks you if you want to update or whatever. It will run.

hmm, ok, but I still don't have any cpu data to work with... those lists are empty

Back