• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Detonator 43.45 screwed my video card...help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

robincao

I know the loss of a Geforce2 isn't that much of a loss but still it worries me :-(

I've d/l the latest detonator driver (43.45) so that Freelancer can stop popping up a box requesting me to upgrade the drivers of my videocard. It was fine for a few hrs.

The next morning i turn on comp, the box made a series of blips...then the picture came up except where there suppose to be black space, it is replaced by some weird ASCII symbol. And then the windows screen is distorted by 'shadows' or mirror-images of desktop items. Essentially the display is all screwed up.

I've o/c the videocard long time ago, but it has been running at normal frequency for years now. So the only change i made is the denator driver. What I would like to know is whether anyone had similar problem before and does anyone know what the exact problem is (e.g. memory chip corruption? GPU problem?)

mrgreenjeans

I had problems with that set of drivers for a couple of days and then upgraded to the new 44.01 release. It seems to have run smoother, although i've got a much more recent vid card. I did install that driver on another machine with a GF3 TI500 and had excellent results there also.
Check your Mobo settings also. The newer drivers seen to be more sensitive to AGP apeture and voltage settings.
Good luck!

schuey74

Registered
Yea, try upgrading to the new 44.03s or try the 30.82s. Those are suppose to be the best drivers for the GF2 class cards. Try them in that order because I'm not sure how Freelancer will work on the 30.82s.

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
i don't really see any point in upgrading to any newer drivers unless you actually own a fx at this point... i don't think you will see any performance increase unless it is from deleting an effect :rolleyes:

Cube

mbentley said:
i don't really see any point in upgrading to any newer drivers unless you actually own a fx at this point... i don't think you will see any performance increase unless it is from deleting an effect :rolleyes:

Word, I agree wit yous.

Especially with a GF2 card, like Schuey74 mentioned, the 30.82s should work fine.

OP
R

robincao

I can try different drivers, but the trouble is that the card is not currently recognised as a GF2 but as some generic card and installing drivers (which i can) doesnt change anything after reboot.

So basicly its displaying at 640*480 with alot of crap on the screen.

Hawky

had same problem, well, i think it was the drivers. but i also got the ACSII things when i boot up. mostly when i overclocked something. :( anyways i changed drivers to 43.51 WHQL and they r great, get em

schuey74

Registered
Why don't you try putting in another Nvidia card (any geforce should do) and see if you have the same problem. Since they use the same drivers it should work if the problem is your GF2 and not the drivers. If there's no problem w/ the other card then obviously your GF2 is fried and there's nothing to be done except buying a new card. If you don't have an extra video card or a friend that can lend you one then you go to Best Buy and purchase any Geforce on your credit card. Try it out the above mentioned test and return the card when you're done. If you like the card you bought and it works, then keep it.

If the problem does indeed lie in the drivers or perhaps in Windows itself then you best bet would be a format & fresh install.

OP
R

robincao

Actually, Hawky, now you mentioned it, I do have those weird ascii symbols on boot-up. There are also wierd color shades as well (even when the dos screen is suppose to be black and white)

Anyway, thanks all who gave me your kind advices, and i'll get on it right away!