• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DEVICE MANAGER ISSUE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aballarde

Registered
Hello to Everyone

I just started today as a new member and I would like to see if someone can help me out with an issue which I'm having with my new motherboard and AMD RYZEN 3 CPU. As far as I can understand, ASUS PRIME X370-PRO motherboard has it's own on board HDMI (graphics and Sound) output and it will work if the right AMD RYZEN processor is installed. In my case, is not possible because as I state in the beginning I'm using AMD RYZEN 3 which doesn't support graphics and sound thru HDMI on board output. I need someone who can tell me why I have AMD high definition Audio bus in Device manager and under system devices, with a code 22 ( device is dissabled) showing. If I try to enable it, this will cause a code 10 in the device. If I try to update the driver, windows 10 x64 will tell me that I already have the most current driver for the device and finally, if I uninstall it, windows will reinstall it as soon as I reboot my Pc.

The pc seems to be performing well with no sound problems so far. I'm using one of my two AMD RADEON RX460 Graphics cards HDMI output for video and audio thru my flat screen tv. It seems to me that somehow this Device manager issue has something to do with the fact mentioned before, I'm using AMD RYZEN 3 that doesn't support on board Graphics and sound and that somehow the driver for that device is installed and because it cannot start that is causing the Code 22 in Device manager. Please let me know if I'm in the right track on this. Thank you High Definition Audio Bus ID.gif

Attachments

• Device Manager.gif
    Device Manager.gif
    87.9 KB · Views: 428
Last edited:
You're thinking is right. The hardware is still on the motherboard but isn't active unless the right CPU is installed

Even though you don't have the right CPU, go ahead and disable the onboard video in the BIOS. That may be what is giving you that error.

What RYZEN 3 CPU are you using? 1200? 1300X? or 2200G?

Last edited:
Hello again and thank you for answering me Johan45 and WhitehawkEQ. My PC was build part by part. I build it with a pretty tight budget and Not intended to be use as an overclocked system. I do believe in Overclocking, but I'm not using Overclocking, perhaps because is kind of risky and in some cases deadly to the processor.

I have AMD RYZEN 3 @ 1200 ( factory setting) optimized in Bios setup to Turbo mode automatically.
I wanted at least a an AMD RYZEN 5 @ 1400, but the price was pretty high at that time. !Not possible!, so I ended up with AMD RYZEN 3 @ 1200 mhz. And I thought that maybe I have purchased crap, instead AMD RYZEN 3 @ 1200 has proven to deliver good quality product even at lower price CPU. I have no complaints about it and for now I'm using it as for testing capabilities on my custom made system. It handles intensive pc game programing Data use on latest pc games such as: Sniper ghost warrior 3, Mafia 3 among other games very well with just 16 GB ram from a 64 GB ram capable motherboard, games that seem to have some FPS and sloppy overall gaming performance on most pc systems as I have ever seen. I don't know who to blame Johan45, but I really want to have the solution on hand now. I tolerate everything on a pc, but a fault on system devices.

The only thing bugging my rig is Device Manager with that problem. Since the Device manager issue is system related one, I don't feel too happy. Someone along the line drop the ball. AMD processor drivers, AMD RADEON RX460 drivers or ASUS motherboard drivers. I haven't see any settings in Bios related to: disabling on board HDMI output yet. Remember that I'm new with ASUS PRIME X370- PRO Bios settings screen and it is a bit confusing in some settings, so I go slow on the safe zone. I will take a look to Bios again today and will let you know if for sure I have a setting to disable on board HDMI out. For sure I will try your suggestions WhitehawkEQ and all other suggestions that I consider valuable in finding a solution. Thank you again for all your help.

Last edited:
Hello again and thank you for answering me Johan45 and WhitehawkEQ. My PC was build part by part. I build it with a pretty tight budget and Not intended to be use as an overclocked system. I do believe in Overclocking, but I'm not using Overclocking, perhaps because is kind of risky and in some cases deadly to the processor.

I have AMD RYZEN 3 @ 1200 ( factory setting) optimized in Bios setup to Turbo mode automatically.
I wanted at least a an AMD RYZEN 5 @ 1400, but the price was pretty high at that time. !Not possible!, so I ended up with AMD RYZEN 3 @ 1200 mhz. And I thought that maybe I have purchased crap, instead AMD RYZEN 3 @ 1200 has proven to deliver good quality product even at lower price CPU. I have no complaints about it and for now I'm using it as for testing capabilities on my custom made system. It is capable to handle intensive pc game use on latest pc games such as: Sniper ghost warrior 3, Mafia 3 among other games that seem to have some FPS and sloppy overall Graphics performance on most pc systems as I have ever seen. I don't know who to blame Johan45, but I really want to have the solution on hand now. I tolerate everything, but a fault on system devices.

The only thing bugging my rig is Device Manager. Since the Device manager issue is system related one, I don't feel too happy. Someone along the line drop the ball. AMD processor drivers, AMD RADEON RX460 drivers or ASUS motherboard drivers. I haven't see any settings in Bios related to disabling on board HDMI output yet. Remember that I'm new with ASUS PRIME X370- PRO Bios settings screen and it is a bit confusing in some settings, so I go slow on the safe zone. I will take a look to Bios again today and will let you know if for sure I have a setting to disable on board HDMI out.

The 1200 in Ryzen 3 1200 is not the speed, it's the model number. Your CPU is not a APU so you are getting these errors, if you had the Ryzen 3 2200G APU, you would not have the errors.
Go in the BIOS and disable onboard video.

Under NB Configuration
Primary Video Device [PCIE / PCI Video]
Selects the primary display device. Configuration options: [IGFX Video] [PCIE / PCI Video]

The 1200 in Ryzen 3 1200 is not the speed, it's the model number. Your CPU is not a APU so you are getting these errors, if you had the Ryzen 3 2200G APU, you would not have the errors.
Go in the BIOS and disable onboard video.

Under NB Configuration
Primary Video Device [PCIE / PCI Video]
Selects the primary display device. Configuration options: [IGFX Video] [PCIE / PCI Video]

You are absolutely right, but what about when the user's choice is not to use ASUS on board HDMI and prefer to use Graphics card HDMI output instead. That is why APU is not the processor of my choice. I would like to keep free the highest amount of resources as possible on the motherboard. I know that APU will be on charge here for graphics and Audio, but still it needs placement in the motherboard resources which I always avoid when I build a rig. For users like me, nobody on CPU design area storm brain about a way to disable those drivers when motherboard senses the type of processor it has so windows won't even loads them. At least give us a way to uninstall that High Definition Audio device function using control panel settings. I can disable it on Device Manager, but when I reopened I see the exclamation symbol reminding me about it. It won't solve it. I think that AMD and ASUS should take care of this thru drivers updates. Right now in order for me to have Device Manager clear will be to get APU processor and then it will be everything normal on Device Manager. Then what is the point on making something that you can use on the same motherboard (AM4 compatible) AMD RYZEN or AMD APU processor, with no settings to stop the drivers if not in use. Well I will use this RYZEN 3 @ 1200 CPU until it dies and then I will get me a RYZEN 3 @ 2200 and see how it does.

Just because you see that exclamation mark in Device manager it isn't going to affect the working of the system. It will run fine regardless.
There should be a way in BIOS to disable on-board audio as well.

Just because you see that exclamation mark in Device manager it isn't going to affect the working of the system. It will run fine regardless.
There should be a way in BIOS to disable on-board audio as well.

Well yesterday I check Bios settings and under Advanced settings I disable on board sound. For graphics, the only settings I can see is the one for PCIex16 which is already set for PCIex16. Then I went to check Device manager in windows to see if the problem has been solved. I still have code 22 on High Definition Audio Bus. It won't go away Johan45, but I haven't check Bios settings under NB configuration, so I will check that out as well.

The reason behind me trying to solve this issue is because I need this pc with all devices and drivers working properly. Otherwise if a failure occurs running programs or games, this might lead me to believe that is because of that issue in Device Manager that the failure happens. As an example: Right now when I click over the speaker icon on desktop to adjust pc volume, nothing happens, isn't working. I do have sound, but unable to control volume. What do you think about this Johan45.

WHITEHAWKEQ yes I need to try your URL, until now you were the only place to have a feedback regardless ASUS PRIME X370-PRO. I will try it out right after finishing reply here. Thank you

Which speaker icon in the task manager notification area are you referring to? If you are using the video card HDMI for audio then the speaker icon you are referring to may be for the onboard sound which you are bypassing.

It's Windows 10 speaker icon besides the time and Date and on the right side of connection to internet icon, sometimes works sometimes doesn't.

Check the hidden icons in that same area. Is there another speaker symbol for the HDMI audio for the Rx460 card?

Have you checked in Control Panel>Sound to make sure the right output is selected?

Have you checked the Raedon software for HDMI related controls?

When I open hidden icons, there is nothing related to Sound. It use to be there one icon for REALTECK high definition audio, but since I disable On Board sound trying a suggestion from one of the members to see if that fix the issue, the icon is no longer there.
I'm going to re-enable On board sound, because disabling it did not solve the problem.

Control Panel > Sound It shows My flat screen TV monitor as the default device. No other devices listed there.

RADEON software does not have anything related to sound, it should at least over Additional settings, The only settings there are for the flat screen TV monitor (video) no audio.
RADEON Settings.gif

Yeah when windows volume control is not working I turn Up and Down the volume using TV control.

Aside from the code 10 message and the flag in device manager, do you have any real world indications that the system is not functioning properly and is not reliable for the intended use?

Did you actually install the AMD HDMI audio driver? I use VGA(Nvidia) audio on my TV and I have volume control in windows10. When you click on the speaker in the bottom right does a small box open with an arrow at the top?

Not at all, but even Windows Defender is pointing at that as a problem as you can see on my attachment.

Windows Defender.gif

- - - Updated - - -

Yes Johan45 I installed AMD drivers for Graphics that included HDMI drivers.

But if that flag has to do with a hardware component you aren't even using then it shouldn't affect anything. I wouldn't obsess over it. Do some testing to see if it interferes with the intended use and if it doesn't I would just move on for now.

There was a second question in my last post.
Is this a fresh Windows install or migrated from another system?

Back