• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Devil May Cry 4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
This is NOT a simple hack and slash game.

There's absolutely NOTHING simple about it. If you die enough it drops the difficulty down... so I guess you probably could fight through SOME of the game using just a couple of buttons... but then you'd just be a loser now wouldn't you? :p

No no... Devil May Cry is all about STYLE. It's probably the only game I can think of that features "style" as one of the central plot points. It really isn't about what you do so much as it's about how cool you look while you're doing it.

To that end you're actually rated on how well you're playing the game. The rating system goes from "D" to "SSS" with the latter meaning you've thoroughly kicked *** in the most embarrassing manner possible. The fighting system is probably the most complicated thing I've seen in a game since the dribbling methods in NBA 2k8.

Between jumping, sword attacks, gun attacks, and Nero's devil hand there's simply an unlimited amount of things to do. For example you can knock an enemy in the air with your sword, grab him out of the air, do a ground combo with your sword, a stabbing combo while he's on the ground, taunt (it counts towards your style points) grab him off the ground, slam him, jump in the air, pull him in the air with you, throw him to the ground and grab him again before he hits...

It's really staggering. And the Exceed system means you can also rev-up your attacks so that they become even MORE powerful, and you actually rev them in the middle of a combo. meaning your moves are getting more powerful while you're doing them.

Much has been made about playing through the same levels with Dante that you started with Nero. Well Nero and Dante are COMPLETELY different and it will take you a while to get used to their styles. Not only that but you'll be playing through those same levels ANYWAY trying to get a better and better grade. (In fact, as soon as I finish the game I intend to start it again since some bug has prevented me from using the network system in DMC4 since I switched PS3s).

And don't give me that "Well I played the demo and I didn't like it..." crap. I played the actual GAME for about three days before things started to click. It's been a long time since so much has been demanded of my reflexes. Learning the exceed system is DAMNED HARD... but extremely rewarding once you "get it."

I'll go out on a limb and say no action game ever looked cooler. The controls are tight, the graphics are top notch, the game play runs a decently long time, and the characters are memorable.

So check it out and hang with it. (If you can't beat the first boss... then you're doing it wrong. :beer: )

Great game, really enjoyed it on my PS3.......complete rental in my opinion. I'm a little disappointed that I bought it because the entire game can be played well within a week.

deception``

Great game, really enjoyed it on my PS3.......complete rental in my opinion. I'm a little disappointed that I bought it because the entire game can be played well within a week.

deception``

I suppose that's true... depending on how busy a life you have. :)

I've never played any of the other Devil May Cry games before, so I was COMPLETELY lost. It certainly ain't Onimusha (my main reason for not getting into Devil May Cry is because I thought it was just Onimusha with guns... it's not.)

Once I got the hang of it though it was like WOWWWWW!

The fighting system is probably the most complicated thing I've seen in a game since the dribbling methods in NBA 2k8.

Between jumping, sword attacks, gun attacks, and Nero's devil hand there's simply an unlimited amount of things to do. For example you can knock an enemy in the air with your sword, grab him out of the air, do a ground combo with your sword, a stabbing combo while he's on the ground, taunt (it counts towards your style points) grab him off the ground, slam him, jump in the air, pull him in the air with you, throw him to the ground and grab him again before he hits...

How would you compare the combos/attack options in DMC 4 vs God of War?

I suppose that's true... depending on how busy a life you have. :)

I've never played any of the other Devil May Cry games before, so I was COMPLETELY lost. It certainly ain't Onimusha (my main reason for not getting into Devil May Cry is because I thought it was just Onimusha with guns... it's not.)

Once I got the hang of it though it was like WOWWWWW!

Try DMC1 and DMC3: SE [DMC3 is ultra-hard]. Avoid DMC2 like the plague.

deception``

I'd say there a little different. DMC4 has a lot of variety, particularly when it comes to Dante and his many different fighting styles. Personally, however, I still favor Ninja Gaiden [Black or Sigma, take your pick] as my gold standard of next-gen action.

deception``

God of war is elementary. There's a fairly limited amount of things you can do. You can block in God of War and you can't in DMC4.

Other than that DMC4 completely blows it away. You basically get to invent your own combos (which isn't REALLY possible in God of War. Not to the extent you can in Devil May Cry 4.) Once you switch to Dante things REALLY get crazy because you can switch styles in the middle of a combo. You can switch GUNS in the middle of a combo.

And Nero's Devil arm gives you even more combo options because you can grab people from across the screen, grab them from the ground and combo them in the air... you've got OPTIONS.

DMC4 was delicious. I hadn't played any previous ones either. The whole backtracking thing was a bit of a disappointment, and I really couldn't get the hang of Dante's controls, but the game still rocked. I need to do a second playthrough. I'd reccomend it to anyone who like God of War... both rock faces. DMC4 is more cheesy, over the top action though, and I love it.

God of war is elementary. There's a fairly limited amount of things you can do. You can block in God of War and you can't in DMC4.

Other than that DMC4 completely blows it away. You basically get to invent your own combos (which isn't REALLY possible in God of War. Not to the extent you can in Devil May Cry 4.) Once you switch to Dante things REALLY get crazy because you can switch styles in the middle of a combo. You can switch GUNS in the middle of a combo.

And Nero's Devil arm gives you even more combo options because you can grab people from across the screen, grab them from the ground and combo them in the air... you've got OPTIONS.

Sounds kinda confusing with all the possibilities. As far as your effectiveness at dispatching enemies/progressing through the game, do you need to memorize a bunch of situational combinations or can you get away with impromptu combos?

Sounds kinda confusing with all the possibilities. As far as your effectiveness at dispatching enemies/progressing through the game, do you need to memorize a bunch of situational combinations or can you get away with impromptu combos?

Meh, not a lot of situational stuff. Sure, you have combos that are more effective one on one, or in groups, but I got through just fine using all of them on all kinds of enemies. Knowing certain combos against certain enemies will sometimes give you an advantage, but its nothing game breaking.

It's not Mortal Kombat 3 :)

Like I said you invent your own combos and you're graded on style. There are a few basic moves and some really simple 3 or four hit combos. It's your job to chain all your powers, combos, and moves together however you see fit.

You can do some of it (to a limited degree) in the demo. But once you have all the moves (and Yamamoto) you'll see the game REALLY open up in terms of what you can do.

I spend a lot of timing going back and trying to get "S" ratings for all the levels... so backtracking doesn't bother me at all since I've played all the levels a hundred times over anyway.

In fact... since I exchanged PS3 systems... I need to play the whole game over again anyway to get the network stuff working again (some kind of glitch when you switch systems).

Like Deception said, by the time you know what the hell you're doing it won't take long to get through the game but you OWE IT to yourself to find out what you're doing.

I recommend going over to Youtube and checking out some combo videos so you at least have an idea of what's possible. And definitely check out some exceed videos.

DMC, esp 4 requires many comboing skills and reflexes.

God of War is also way too simple to be compared to DMC.

Sounds good to me. I loved God of War, but thought the combos were a little repetitive so this sounds like a great game to get. Thanks for the recommendation.

Back