• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DFI Expert and Ocz 4800 any way to make this work

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

meionm

This what I have ocz 4800 and dfi nf4 expert. It runs in stock settings 2.5-4-4-10 at 300, so what's wrong DFi NF4 ultra runs same setting at 2.5-4-3-5. I can't figure it out how to run it at the same similar setting. So far I managed to get run 2.5-4-3-10 expert few passes memtest error free. The worse part is that the board fails memtest sooner or later. Any thoughts how could I go about, before I turn that board back in.

Maybe it's pwmic temps when I enter bios they are around 54 and during memtest they should be higher. though putting a fan on this board is much harder than on ultra. Also speedfan makes system freeze when turn on.

Eldonko

Revolutionary Mule
Tweak your secondaries, along with drive str, and data dri str. You need to find that balance. Expert reacts to secondarys totally differently than Ultra, so what may have worked before probably wont now.

drewmister

for tccX modules use a weak drive strength (1,3,5,7,9... etc) I find that 7 and 9 work best with my gskills... for drive strength then just tweak from there...

Revivalist

Have you tried starting off with these settings? They worked for me (and we have very similar systems.) . . . From there, see what you can tighten up without losing stability. . . .

The SpeedFan issue I'm still trying to work out as well. I read something about setting it so that it doesn't read some certain bus which causes the crashes.

OP
meionm

meionm

Revivalist said:
Have you tried starting off with these settings? They worked for me (and we have very similar systems.) . . . From there, see what you can tighten up without losing stability. . . .

The SpeedFan issue I'm still trying to work out as well. I read something about setting it so that it doesn't read some certain bus which causes the crashes.
There is no really point using these settings becasue they are crap. Instead of running 300 it would be better running 280 higher multi and tighter timmings

Revivalist

meionm said:
There is no really point using these settings becasue they are crap. Instead of running 300 it would be better running 280 higher multi and tighter timmings
You're right. That's why in that thread Tony said, "Remember this is not the max but a good place to start . . ."

From your original post I got the impression that you would like to run the memory at 300Mhz (not 280MHz) and you're trying to work out the timings. If so, then Tony's screenshot might help to rule out some of the buggy minor timings that can cause problems if they're not set right (like TRC, TRFC, TREF, Drive Strength, Data Drive Strength, Max Asynch, Read Preamble, etc. . . .) There's most likely something in there that you don't have set right. (I think that's what Eldonko and drewmister are trying to troubleshoot also.) But you can at least start with settings that you know are stable for sure at 300MHz.

OP
meionm

meionm

Revivalist said:

ok I tried the setup from the link and it got more errors than with my timmings

Revivalist

meionm said:
ok I tried the setup from the link and it got more errors than with my timmings
Interesting . . . did you try bumping up the Vcore a bit? I found on my system that this gives better stability when running a high HTT like 300MHz. . . . Also, try running different LDT multipliers. Sometimes one value is more stable than another. IT's not necessarily the lower the value the mroe stable it is. (For example, 2.5x is more stable than 2x or 3x on my system.)