• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DFI LanParty nF4 SLI-DR Expert overheating issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tech Tweaker

I've got this rather annoying problem with my DFI LP UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert (model name is a mouth full, isn't it?).

Anyway, when I'm benching on it I'm running into issues with overheating on one or two of the PWM/VRM/mosfet heatsinks and one or two of the chokes. Not sure why I would be having these issues, since I have a fan right directly above that area of the board.

It seems like it takes a while for it to heat up to the point where it becomes a problem and ultimately causes instability and/or a lockup, or shutdown/blue screen. It was happening fairly quickly before, then I switched out my exhaust fan for a model with a higher RPM and more airflow (switched a Yate Loon D12SM-12 (70CFM) out for a Cooler Master Excalibur (~90CFM)) and after that the system took longer to overheat but it still does though now it just takes a little longer.

At the moment I'm pushing 1.57-1.58V to a dual core CPU (Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester (E4)) to keep it at or around 2.8GHz (stock 2.2GHz). I can drop it down to around 1.45-1.46V for 2.7GHz and then it doesn't overheat, but I need the extra 100MHz to remain somewhat competitive in the benchmark ratings (actually I'd like to push the frequency up higher, if I could get it to stop overheating first).

Problem is, the parts that are overheating are in an area that is difficult to get to, and would be nigh on impossible to mount a fan on while it is in a case. So, that option is out. That was my first choice, but after looking at it I don't think it will be an option, and if I could do that it would have to be with the case lying on its side and in that scenario the case airflow would not be as good as it is when the case is upright.

Unless I'm missing something, I fear I may have to pull my system out of the case and run it on an open-air test bench to get it to stop overheating. I'd rather avoid that if I can, since I don't have a proper test bench station to mount it to and can't really afford for one at the moment.

Has anyone else run into similar issues?

i did on the non expert model back in the day.
it was the Ultra-D version that i had. it had less in power managment than the expert and i was pushing my Opteron 148 to roughly 3.2Ghz

i tried what you were trying but in the end it kept happening. it was a big jump from 1.8Ghz to 3.2 so i have a feeling i accelerated the degradation process of the mosfets, they were getting baked.

older components have more resistance in them and if pushed hard only accelerates this fact and resistance causes heat and then instability.

i had the motherboard for about 2 years before it got replaced with a AM2 socketed motherboard and a 5200+

Hmm, so it's age combined with degradation of the components' performances over time could be a factor then in it overheating?

Wouldn't surprise me I guess, since the board is 5-6 years old with about the same amount of use on it as its age.

I wonder if I could get better performance from a board with less hours (or years) of use on it...

I have often read in the past that older components can perform better, because they've been "broken in" more than newer ones. That's one of the reasons I like used components. I'd never really accounted for degradation of performance over long stretches of time (and use) though.

well normal use you dont usually notice it but if your stressing them all the time then your going to notice it more often and it seems like your stressing it alot.

you say you need the 100Mhz to stay competitive but maybe it sounds like you might need a cheepo upgrade. but being competitive in what kind of benchmark sounds like the determining factor on what to upgrade to

I am unfamiliar with the board, but perhaps little heatsinks on the overheating components or if there is already one there you need to change TIM or put on a larger HS.

i never had the overheating bad enough to shut it down but i do remember having to put a fan directly over the ram mofset area as it got toasty.

i had both versions. non expert and an expert. still have the expert.

I am unfamiliar with the board, but perhaps little heatsinks on the overheating components or if there is already one there you need to change TIM or put on a larger HS.

They already have heat sinks on the mosfets, unfortunately though they are non-removable/replaceable as they appear to be soldered down to the motherboard.

i never had the overheating bad enough to shut it down but i do remember having to put a fan directly over the ram mofset area as it got toasty.

i had both versions. non expert and an expert. still have the expert.
Well, the mosfet heatsink I am having the overheating issue with is the one to the upper-right of the CPU socket right near the top of the motherboard. I don't know if that is for the ram or CPU or some other component or area on the board though.

Well, the mosfet heatsink I am having the overheating issue with is the one to the upper-right of the CPU socket right near the top of the motherboard. I don't know if that is for the ram or CPU or some other component or area on the board though.

yeah that was the area that got pretty toasty. a low spinning 120mm fan helped.

Back