• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DFI LP nF4 SLI-DR ram problem :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funsoul

Hi Folks!

Trying to get the subject motherboard up and running with 2x ram in dual channel.

Gave the board a thorough cleaning including in and around all slots. Also cleaned the ram. Each of the 2 sticks work in slots 1 and 2 in single-stick/channel mode without issues. Neither stick works in slots 3 and 4 in single-stick/channel mode but that may be as designed? I've cleaned the slots multiple times using a soft cloth to thoroughly clean inside each slot. Didn't help (but boy oh boy are those slots squeeky clean now hehe).

For overclocking, the manual states to use slots 2 and 4. With 1 stick in slot 2 and another in slot 4, the LED shows the system hanging at the ram stage and results in a never-ending loop of long, single beeps (which both point to an issue with the ram). Sticks in slots 1/3, 1/4, 2/3, and, 2/4 the result is the same....stuck at LED3 (ram) and single, long beeps (ram).

Am I missing something or are slots 3 and 4 dead (or otherwise non-functional)? Thinking it may (possibly) vDDR related, set the bios voltage to 2.8v (the sticks are rated at 2.6v so just a slight nudge). Did tests with 6 sticks total, all with the same results (slots 1 and 2 seem fine but anything in 3 or 4 results in hang and long beeps).

Any thoughts, ideas, tips, etc?? Input would be much appreciated.
Tia!

PS- Here's the manual: http://static.highspeedbackbone.net/pdf/DFI_LanParty_ nf4ut_slidr_manual.pdf

Hiya ShrimpBrime! :) What's up dude?? How you been?

Think mebbe it's a bios issue? Will head on over there

TCCD and all other RAM chips other than Winbond BH-5/CH-5/BH-6=Orange slots

Winbond BH-5/CH-5/BH-6=Yellow slots

Oh, and Kingston sticks have always been a pain for me to get working with a DFI board. Don't think I have ever gotten a Kingston stick to work with any of my DFI boards (SLI-DR, SLI-DR Expert, SLI-D).

Oh, also don't put sticks in the slots closest to the CPU socket only if you're using only one stick or only two, or it won't boot up.

I have some sticks of Samsung TCCD that refuse to be recognized unless I input at least 2.9v in the BIOS, in case that helps.

These are just a few of the tips I can think of off hand.

Thanks TT!
Going to pick up a new battery and give it another try. Bummer on the kingston sticks...I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.

Not sure what you mean by this, though... "Oh, also don't put sticks in the slots closest to the CPU socket only if you're using only one stick or only two, or it won't boot up." Huh?

Single stick in the orange slot closest to the CPU is the failsafe. If you ever run into trouble, this is the configuration you use to fix it. ALWAYS.

If you need a bios or a suggestion Steph, you know where to find me. :)

Hiya ShrimpBrime! :) What's up dude?? How you been?

Think mebbe it's a bios issue? Will head on over there

Not much, just hanging out. Been ok. Went through some storms that made the house a mess and al the fun that goes with it. Good to see ya! :)

Glad you're ok Jon. Got flooded? Ugh...hope everything's back to normal for you. Always so good to see your nick, wishing you the best man.

No flooding. Had a few trees snapped in half, many large branches. Half a tree hit the house got a hole in the roof, took the electric line, pole and box off the house and sheered the spicket off too.
Standing at the front porch window watched the rain go completely sideways, immediately took the boys to the basement. Nobody got hurt.
They called it a microburst with winds reaching 80 miles an hour. The village never sounded the alarms it was thought to be just a thunderstorm.

Everything is back up and running now. Almost all the debri is removed also.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

No flooding. Had a few trees snapped in half, many large branches. Half a tree hit the house got a hole in the roof, took the electric line, pole and box off the house and sheered the spicket off too.
Standing at the front porch window watched the rain go completely sideways, immediately took the boys to the basement. Nobody got hurt.
They called it a microburst with winds reaching 80 miles an hour. The village never sounded the alarms it was thought to be just a thunderstorm.

Everything is back up and running now. Almost all the debri is removed also.
20180925_172851_HDR.jpg 20180925_172851_HDR.jpg

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Sry for the double post. Phone is being stupid today.

oh I had one of these and I remember having ram problems too.
I remember getting the HyperX I had working on it though, it needed extra voltage on something...

not the CPU or Ram it self, maybe a bus? HT bus?
I donno its been a long time, I remember a little bit about it, mostly how it was able to take a HT link speed boost in stride but I cant remember the specifics

Thanks Niku-Sama!
Yeah...was SO frustrating :( Got help but still couldn't get it working in time for Team Cup. Going to send it to a friend who's kindly offered their help.

Back