• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DGS-1008D network switch, it's not detecting.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

geestring

Im new to switches so im not sure if im setting it up correctly.

I have my ethernet cable running from router to the switch. This detects properly on the switch. When I add my xbox to the swtich there are no lights and it's not connected to the internet.

any ideas?

Gresyth

Computer Abuser
If you are trying to have either the xbox or your pc online without changing cables around, the switch is the wrong item. You want a router. A router can obtain an IP address from your ISP then assign internal IPs to each device connected to it. With a switch, the first device to ask for an IP gets the one from your ISP and the next device doesn't get one.

Switches are typically used after a router to allow more devices than the router has ports for. Or if you have multiple internet IPs from your ISP a switch can work. But the extra IPs would cost more per IP per month from your ISP.

I've found that a lot of sales-beasts will sell switches and hubs to people who need routers simply because the sales-beast doesn't know any better.

If you already have a router and bought the switch to add the xbox on the network and needed another port, log into your router and tell it to assign an additional IP for the xbox. By default a router will only assign as many IPs as it has ports.

Last edited:

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
Im new to switches so im not sure if im setting it up correctly.

I have my ethernet cable running from router to the switch. This detects properly on the switch. When I add my xbox to the swtich there are no lights and it's not connected to the internet.

any ideas?

i just want to make sure that things are clear because it sounds like this is how you have things set up:
ISP ---> cable/dsl modem ---> router ---> switch ---> xbox

if that is the case, then it is correct. even if you did have it connected from your modem directly to a switch, you should still get an activity light. this makes me believe that the problem is with the cable or maybe even the xbox's ethernet port. i would check the cable that you are using to make sure it is the correct type of cable (you can't use a crossover cable unless it is a gigabit switch with auto detect). it could also be a bad cable. have you verified that it works with another cable? you might also try to go directly from your router to the xbox.

http://discountcablesusa.com/ethernet-cables100.html said:
568A-568B.gif

If a cable has 568A color wiring on both ends then it's a straight through cable.

If a cable has 568B color wiring on both ends then it's also a straight through cable.

If a cable has 568A color wiring on one end and 568B color coded wiring on the other end, then it's a crossover cable.