• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Diablo Immortal Anyone playing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BugFreak

So far I've played it on my phone and like it. Considering its a tiny phone screen, the game is really pretty and has a nice flow to it. Going to try the PC version tonight.

Tried it, crashed once on character creation, then again on world load, the videos and menu are horribly optimized and pixelized (for a console port) but graphics in game are... ok-ish for a phone, not for a big monitor. Hated the gameplay (but I don't really like these types of game on mobile, so I'm biased), deleted it after ~15m... This seems like it was another botched job like Warcraft III Refunded, it's ~30gb when fully downloaded on PC (I honestly don't know whether to laugh or cry at this), and about half that on mobile. Reviews on the ridiculously predatory monetization system have already started hitting YouTube, so this should be a fun next couple months...

Last edited:
Funny, I don't see much of what they are talking about. I think it looks beautiful and plays well. Not to mention free but I guess YouTubers need to be negative to get clicks.

As for the p2w complaints. I'm pretty far and have yet to have to spend anything to play it well. Granted I bought the .99 cosmetic set but I feel they deserve it for a good game. Drop rates have been steady and keeping up with or overpowering most monsters. So far I have not felt like I have to buy to keep going like most mobile games.

The money spending is (mostly) only in the endgame, when you start upgrading your gear (especially the gems) to do higher rifts and PvP, campaign itself should be perfectly fine free, early on you can autopath and AFK for most boss fights.

Diablo Immortal Dev LIED Claiming There's NO PAY TO WIN ⇾ worth hearing the whole thing, but the 1st ~13m or so are the more interesting ⇾ people are not bashing the game itself, just the monetization

⇾ NSFW, quite a bit of swearing and ranting

I won't be giving it my time of day, as I'm avoiding Activision/Blizzard games. And upon reading the p2w lootbox and gambling mechanics for upgrading gear I have even less desire to even try it. Especially less than a year ago a dev said that it wouldn't be that way.

I won't be giving it my time of day, as I'm avoiding Activision/Blizzard games. And upon reading the p2w lootbox and gambling mechanics for upgrading gear I have even less desire to even try it. Especially less than a year ago a dev said that it wouldn't be that way.
About the same feeling. I loved Diablo 1 ... 2/3 already less but was still fine. Every "new" game is just a refresh of old ideas. They made nothing new for long years and every "new" game is like a copy of ideas from other somehow successful games. They are not even trying to release something good-looking or with a fresh story or anything like that. People pay for everything anyway, so who cares if it's good or not.

110k PER CHARACTER, that's a cool 660k if you do one of each, more if you like/want to do alts, it gets downright stupid when Blizz "allows" players to pay for the privilege of putting sockets on their gem sockets (talk about blinging your bling) :bang head

"...it would take roughly 10 years of playtime for a F2P player to fully kit out a character in the game's current iteration..." ⇾ we have our timetable for Diablo 4...

Last edited:
I remember playing Diablo when it first came out. Wasn't impressed. I dislike top-down view games, but wanted to try it and see if this particular game was any different. Nope.

I got the game free.

yeah... i can't watch these so-called reviews because they just ramble on about too much crap. these 10 minutes videos are about 8 minutes too long because they don't ever get to the point and are too busy listening to themselves talk...

Josh Strife Hayes is one of the good ones so far, I subbed him originally because he does mainly MMORPG reviews, he actually plays the game for at least 8h before making the videos and always highlights the good and the bad (y) although in this case the backlash was so bad that I don't think anyone will mind if he focused mostly on the bad as long as he's fair...

Blizzard should be proud, that's 2 games now that were metabombed so badly they ended up at the top of the list for "worst games ever" on metacritic...

yeah... i can't watch these so-called reviews because they just ramble on about too much crap. these 10 minutes videos are about 8 minutes too long because they don't ever get to the point and are too busy listening to themselves talk...
I gave up on game reviews in general. Every game I bought from a good rated review ended up being crap.

Josh Strife Hayes is one of the good ones so far, I subbed him originally because he does mainly MMORPG reviews, he actually plays the game for at least 8h before making the videos and always highlights the good and the bad (y) although in this case the backlash was so bad that I don't think anyone will mind if he focused mostly on the bad as long as he's fair...

Blizzard should be proud, that's 2 games now that were metabombed so badly they ended up at the top of the list for "worst games ever" on metacritic...
I don't consider any Diablo game MMORPG. Been playing MMORPG since the Ultima Online days and 8 hours seems a little short for a true review imo. A player would still be in the grind of leveling up at that point if the game is worth a darn.

Regardless of reviews I still think Immortal is exactly what I thought it would be, a game to spend a little time playing when I have free time. Not sure what people expected from a free mobile game but so far its fun and I still haven't hit a point where I feel I need to buy anything. I just don't understand why people complain about paying for things in free games. If the choice is to buy some items in game or pay $$ up front I will gladly pay in game. I can control how much I spend versus a flat cost up front for something I might not even play. I guess all these youtubers have to jump on the anti-blizzard bandwagon but they make no sense to me.

I don't consider any Diablo game MMORPG. Been playing MMORPG since the Ultima Online days and 8 hours seems a little short for a true review imo. A player would still be in the grind of leveling up at that point if the game is worth a darn.

Regardless of reviews I still think Immortal is exactly what I thought it would be, a game to spend a little time playing when I have free time. Not sure what people expected from a free mobile game but so far its fun and I still haven't hit a point where I feel I need to buy anything. I just don't understand why people complain about paying for things in free games. If the choice is to buy some items in game or pay $$ up front I will gladly pay in game. I can control how much I spend versus a flat cost up front for something I might not even play. I guess all these youtubers have to jump on the anti-blizzard bandwagon but they make no sense to me.
No Diablo game is an MMORPG, I said he does mainly MMORPG reviews, he also does other types of games and other systems like cryptocurrencies.

Yes, you are absolutely right, Diablo is a game where you just turn your brain off for a bit and just have clean fun, and if it were all it was probably no one would have an issue. The problem is this particular type of excessive monetization, it's like going into a webpage riddled with popups where every link is a scam or a fake page linking to another page riddled with popups. Personally I have no issue with free games having a cash shop, but constantly battering a player with ways to spend real money is completely off-putting, and like Genshin Impact, the numerous types of interlinked currency are a psychological trick to easily make people lose track of how much they spend. Also, like I said above, leveling is not an issue until you hit close to max level, it's when you start upgrading your gear that you really find out just how predatory the system really is.

If you start the game with the knowledge that this is a problem, and you just want to finish the campaign and/or hit max level and stop/restart, you should be fine, but if you want to go PVP, do higher difficulty rifts and the like, it's a big issue, because you literally cannot progress past a certain point without spending money. The difference in gear (and because of it, stats) between the free players and the P2W is MASSIVE, especially when you start socketing legendary gems.

I guess I don't see these predatory sites because I don't click on the links then. When I bought the little cosmetic thing it was handled through my phone with no website and no popups. Come to think of it I haven't even seen the typical in game popups like most f2p games so I can't even comment on those.

Judging by your replies you have completely bought into what the YouTubers say so we will just have to agree to disagree on this one. Its a free game that has yet to require anything from me other than time. That is all I expected of it and its meeting that for me.

I wish it was only that, I re-installed (PC version) after watching the videos I linked in my 1st post and have been suffering through it on/off ever since (again, I really hate how you control the abilities, but I understand they have been made for mobile), have a crusader at max level and kept getting mostly (like 99%) blue drops, every time I started an event it asked if I want to spend real money to buy crests to have extra loot, and the fact that my progression gets capped after a few events (unless you pay real money) is in my opinion, dumb. After the cap, near-zero yellow stuff, forget gems, especially now after the nerfs. You can only upgrade gear up to level 6 before paragon 20 and 7 up to paragon 30 and so on, no matter what mats we got in the inventory. Yes, I spent money. Way too much money for the pitiful amount of progress I got for it after max level.

Again, I said it before, no one (as far as I know) is bashing on the game itself, and if it was a pure PC game with proper controls and graphics I would probably be playing it like I did with Diablo 1/2/3 (hyped for 4, want my druid back), but it's the monetization, the grind capping (which mostly goes away with said monetization), and the controls that make it a no-go for me. No one disagreed with you and said the game wasn't fun. People are bashing the monetization system.

I would honestly rather pay for the game like the other Diablo and have a cosmetic shop, than have a free game that I can't progress after a certain point because I don't want to spend thousands of dollars on it. As you said, you have YET to need anything, and again, as I said before, wait until you want to do harder content, easy mode sadly doesn't last long :(

Real mmorpg players are creating a character for 20h+...

I just saw Diablo 4 previews, and characters look worse than in many 5 yo+ mmorpg games. They are not even trying.

Back