• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dialectric Grease, Sealing questions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ani_Mator

Registered
First off, can I use dialectric grease to seal the base of the socket instead of silicone? I want something less permanent.

Next, What exactly is this stuff? I got some at Schucks, but, what are the properties of it, and what is it supposed to do besides putting it in the ziff socket holes to prevent condensation and corrosion?

Thanks guys in advance.:)

frostmeister

Errm, yep. From what I understand of sealing your ziff socket, you want something that is "permanent". A temporary setup by definition isn't going to be as good. What I've seen used most is neoprene foam rubber. Cut out a ziff socket shaped hole in the rubber, build up a few layers of the stuff, then the sockets sealed - assuming you press the neoprene down around the socket, there shouldnt be any major problems. The dielectric grease is meant to insulate between pins as well as prevent moisture associated problems arising. As the grease is not an adhesive though, I'd be wary of using it to seal anything - bear in mind that your CPU is going to be getting colder on switch on, and warming up again when you switch off. This is going to cause a pressure differential and suck air into the socket as it cools down, which causes problems when the moisture in that air condenses. Basically, my advice is use something more than dielectric grease.

ChillPhatCat

Dielectric Grease is most commonly used in spark plug boots to It extends the life of the wires... but you'd probably have them replaced before you found out the contacts had rusted out.

flapperhead

use some conformal coating around the socket(used to protect electronic parts from moisture, dirt etc. then fill it up with dielectric grease.

Silver

Senior Citizen (aka old fart)
Autozone and it is a silicon. Use it on mine with no trouble what so ever. Some mouse pads and a little silicon sealant to seal off and all is well.

y0ungsta

Registered
Do you put the Dialectric Grease in the socket hole or on the cpu pins? I'm just wondering.

Silver

y0ungsta said:
Do you put the Dialectric Grease in the socket hole or on the cpu pins? I'm just wondering.

I packed the pin holes in the socket with it, using the better part of one small tube to do so. When pulling or replacing the cpu I freshen up the holes with a light application.

Stalka

vasoline starts to wear thin after awhile also, which when it did wouldnt protect the socket any longer.

[EG]~NaTz~

so u goto autozone or what not and buy dialectric grease. then i rub it into the actual little pin holes on my zif? do u whipe it off the top area where the chip base touches the zif or what and what do i do to insulate under the zif run a bead along the outside? i understand how to do the big gap in te middle of the zif but im not quite sure about the rest.

can i just permently seal the center big hole of the zif with silicone?

Warlord2

the grease is just for the pin holes, everything else you can use silicone and neopream. That hole in the middle of the socket I have seen people use all silicone and others use silicone and neopream.

Silver

Ran a bead of silicon (drying type - GE) around the socket before doing the grease. Make sure to do all the drying silicon first as the grease will prevent a good seal if applied before. Coated the inside of the socket with the drying type and then placed the precut neoprene in while the silicon was still moist. Had a precut hole in the neoprene to allow the thermal probe access. silicon and neoprene on the back of the board behind the socket. :)