• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did I buy the wrong ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johnthiel48

Hey there folks, I'm wondering if the ram I bought is able to overclock on an AMD motherboard. The ram I bought says compatible with Intel XMP 2.0 but, I'm not sure if it will overclock on an AMD board. The manufacturer's website says compatible with am4 300 series boards. The ram is called Patriot Viper 4 3400mhz. I would appreciate all the help I can get. Thank You!

Thanks for the help

Are you asking if it will work or actually overclock?
It would help if we knew what system you are going to put this ram into and be specific.
Is this the ram? https://www.newegg.ca/patriot-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820220987?item=N82E16820220987

Yes, that's the correct Ram. I want to know if it will actually overclock because the ram I bought {the manufacturer} says " ready for Intel XMP 2.0 " and nothing about overclocking for AMD. I was directed to this site when I tried to do research.
I plan on getting an Asus x570 board with a Ryzen 3700 processor. I'm waiting on my tax check to buy that combo. This is just the first piece I bought. If my ram won't overclock due to incompatibility I can use it still because I have the Asus 100 series Intel motherboard that the ram was designed for. To make myself clear will the Patriot Viper 4 (8gb*2) overclock on an AMD x570 motherboard? Thank You!

It will probably be just fine. You said you can use it anyway so what is the concern with trying it to find out? Otherwise you could always return it for something like Triden Z Neo but x570 and Zen2 have been pretty tolerant of a variety of ram.

If might overclock but if you get any real performance gain out of doing so is another issue since you will likely have to loosen the timings.

1. XMP is only overclocking the IMC on the CPU. Running the RAM at xmp settings is not overclocking the RAM. You want to run the xmp settings.
2. They will likely work, though amd/ryzen is still more finicky with RAM then Intel. Be sure your board is updated to the latest bios and give them a try. Enable xmp and see if they work.

Back