• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

did i fry it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overtime

Registered
hello, as it says in my signature, i have a Geforce4 MX440. earlier today i went to put Arctic Silver on there with a crystal orb instead of the stock heatsink. i started running low on AS towards the end of putting it on the chip....so anyways it looked like a pretty good amount on there, so i put everything together and turn it on....when i get into windows, i notice the screen is kind of flickering in parts but then it goes away and i shrug it off....i leave my room for about 10 minutes, when i come back, theres no signal to the monitor, so i figure it went to "sleep" and i move the mouse....no good :( so i hit the restart button, and i get no POST, just one long beep and four short ones....its an awardBIOS if that helps....so i put my old card in (16MB vanta) and it fires up just fine, i try the other card again, same problem....my question is, did i fry the card or is there something else? thanks,

Brad

Donkey_Show

Registered
Sounds fried to me. Thats definately a video warning you are getting on post. If you are sure that you had enough thermal grease on it, then make sure that the new heatsink is making proper contact with the processor. Thats odd that it would just fail like that, but stranger things have happened.

OP
Overtime

Overtime

Registered
well i don't know if i had enough thermal grease on there, but if i don't know how much is enough and how much isn't enough....it was a pretty thin layer i guess....would this make it overheat? thanks for the reply so soon,

Brad

funnyperson1

sounds like you had too much AS2...it has been known to short connectors and kill dutiful video cards :(

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
funnyperson1 said:
sounds like you had too much AS2...it has been known to short connectors and kill dutiful video cards :(

yep, that definitely sounds like the case... it should be paper thin, evenly spread or so. i know all too well what too much thermal grease does...

OP
Overtime

Overtime

Registered
GOOD NEWS

ok i just thought i'd try it again for kicks and guess what....IT WORKS! i don't know what changed....but it works now...it wasn't AS2, i was just AS...just so ya know....thanks for the replies anyways,

Brad

mbentley

Gloriously Lead, Overclockix Chief Architect
Re: GOOD NEWS

Overtime said:
ok i just thought i'd try it again for kicks and guess what....IT WORKS! i don't know what changed....but it works now...it wasn't AS2, i was just AS...just so ya know....thanks for the replies anyways,

Brad

well all i can say is congrats that it still works :) if it does it again, clean your card with 99% isopropyl rubbing alcohol. that will clean it if the contacts have anything on them bridging the gaps...