• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did I kill my video Card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
Did I kill my video card? I've got a Leadtek Geforce 2 MX DH Pro. I just installed a waterblock and some ramsinks on it. Now when I boot the computer up, everything looks screwy. At first it was just few flickers and stuff here and there. Now the whole screen is a jumble.

I thought maybe I got some Arctic silver on the contacts of the RAM, which I attached using superglue in the corners and Arctic Silver 2 all over. I took the RAM sinks off and cleaned the RAM up as best I could. (It's hard getting superglue off) I checked the leads coming off the card and tried it again. Same deal. Tried cleaning it again, this time with a toothbrush, to get into any crevices I missed. Tried the card again. No dice.

Took off the waterblock, cleaned GPU up, reinstalled original heatsink and it still doesn't work.

Please, please, please help. If anyone has any suggestions on what I could try next, please tell me.

:(

Similar thing happened to me, and I was even using Alumina.

I cleaned every last spec of Alumina off the board with a toothbrush and alcohol, still never got it working. It would post (I could tell by the sounds) but just a blank screen.

How old is it? You could try to clean the thing up real good and RMA it.

I'm not much help but I definately FEEL your pain:(

The cards only a few months old, and I could probably RMA it if I haden't put ramsinks on it. I still have superglue and thermal paste on the memory chips and I don't think I'll be able to get it all off. I'm pretty sure Leadtek would notice that and void my warranty.

Anyone have any experience with Leadtek?

try the rma if they dont take it your just out a dead card

I sent it back to the company I bought it from. I'll find out soon if they'll replace it or not.

Word of advice: after sending the card off, I found the perfect stuff to remove Superglue. It's acetate and it works pretty well. You take a Q-tip and douse it in acetate and then rub the superglue. it doesn't dissolve the superglue, it just softens it. It takes a little time, but it works to completely remove the stuff.

cmcquistion said:
I sent it back to the company I bought it from. I'll find out soon if they'll replace it or not.

Word of advice: after sending the card off, I found the perfect stuff to remove Superglue. It's acetate and it works pretty well. You take a Q-tip and douse it in acetate and then rub the superglue. it doesn't dissolve the superglue, it just softens it. It takes a little time, but it works to completely remove the stuff.

Well what can I say... Just pray that the RMA will approve.

I know I posted this before, but maybe someone here has anyway I can try to save my dead card. I have a GF that suffers from the green lines. I read the other thread, and it says something about replacing capacitors, and here about broken traces. The card can boot, but just it has those lines. It all happened while using mame, and when the screen switched into full screen mode the card died. Rebooted and I had the green lines. Has anyone fixed a card like that? If I could save it, it would make a good OC project for me since it'll be a spare. Then maybe it'll die in dignity with an OC, not playing MAME.

Back