• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did I overload the Power Supply? Smoke, A fireball, a fired computer…?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dtx01

Registered
Did I overload the Power Supply? Smoke, A fireball, a fried computer…?

Ok, here's the deal.

Yay its Christmas, I got another Maxtor 80gb hard drive identical to my other one since I was running out of space of my comp. I installed both hard drives on raid of my DFI Lan Party NF2 Ultra board. Here was my setup:

Motherboard: DFI Lan Party NF2 Ultra
CPU: AMX XP2100+ overclocked to 2.3ghz
RAM: Corsair pc2700 DDR cas2.0 (Running at cas2.5 since the comp wouldn't boot under 2.0, I never knew why)
CD-RW: Sony 52x/24x/52x CD-RW (Primary master)
DVD/CD-RW: Memorex 48x/24x/48x/16x DVD/CD-RW (Secondary master)
Floppy: Generic Floppy Drive
HD1: (Old drive) Maxtor 80gb 7200rpm 8mb cache (RAID primary master)
HD2: (New drive) Maxtor 80gb 7200rpm 8mb cache (RAID secondary master)
Video card: ATI Radeon 9700pro 128mb
Soundcard: Creative Audigy 2
Fans: 3 Coolermaster 80mm fans / 2 Antec 80mm fans
Power supply: ANTEC TruPower 430w

This is how i had everything setup, I was planning on putting the 2 hard drives on RAID 0. Well I turn on the comp and instantly I hear a loud pop and if I saw correctly it looked like a ball of fire or something like that came out of my power supply. I immediately turned off the computer.

Smoke was billowing out of my computer from the power supply area. I was freaking out at this point. I don't know what went wrong. All connections were right from what I saw. I took out the power supply and from the inside of the PSU it smells like it’s burnt and fried. I am hoping that it is the only thing that was damaged. The computer wouldn't start up after this. i am thinking maybe everything inside my comp was too much for my power supply to handle but I have a pretty large PSU (420watts) so I didn’t think that could be it but maybe I just overloaded it from all my internal components. I need to know what to do from here. I have a fried PSU and I don't know if the rest of my computer is untouched or not.

Should I buy a larger PSU? Where should I go from here? Please help, I’m clueless, thanks.

Btw my sig is old so not everything in it is what I have. The list above is what I currently have.

Last edited:

larrymoencurly

A TruePower 430W should be a lot more than enough for all that equipment, and even if it had been overloade, it should have just shut down. So I'm sure that you wound up with a dud PSU.

Zim2411

polarys425 said:
if your lucky its only the PSU. i had one go one time and took out a cd-writer (back when they were $400), a HD, and a mobo.

THAT'S encouraging!

What's the news DTX? Good? Bad?

JigPu

Inactive Pokémon Moderator
You're PSU is probably dead, and hopefully that's all :eek:

I would highly doubt it's from overloading since I was running a similar (slightly less power hungry) setup on a no-name 350W PSU. It was unstable when my video card kicked in and needed juice, but that was all. I was definatly overloading the thing, but no fireballs :D

JigPu

OP
dtx01

dtx01

Registered
well i tried calling Antec to RMA the thing but they are closed today but they will be open tommorow. I may just buy another one in the meantime cause i don't feel like waiting 3 weeks to get my comp running again and return it when i get my replacement in the mail back from Antec or sell my replacement on ebay or something like that. idunno.

anyone have any better ideas? :D

Hookem

Antec will send you a new PSU if you give them your credit card number...That way you can get your PSU shipped out right away...Once they get your RMA'ed power supply they take the charge off...Better than getting two power supply's...Unless you just have to have it now...;)

Cornel

dtx01 said:
Ok, here's the deal.

Motherboard: DFI Lan Party NF2 Ultra
CPU: AMX XP2100+ overclocked to 2.3ghz
RAM: Corsair pc2700 DDR cas2.0 (Running at cas2.5 since the comp wouldn't boot under 2.0, I never knew why)
CD-RW: Sony 52x/24x/52x CD-RW (Primary master)
DVD/CD-RW: Memorex 48x/24x/48x/16x DVD/CD-RW (Secondary master)
Floppy: Generic Floppy Drive
HD1: (Old drive) Maxtor 80gb 7200rpm 8mb cache (RAID primary master)
HD2: (New drive) Maxtor 80gb 7200rpm 8mb cache (RAID secondary master)
Video card: ATI Radeon 9700pro 128mb
Soundcard: Creative Audigy 2
Fans: 3 Coolermaster 80mm fans / 2 Antec 80mm fans
Power supply: ANTEC TruPower 430w

I don't know if the it still needs to be confirmed, but I am pretty sure it's not your psu. Reason: I run a system very similar to yours, almost identical. The diferences are: one extra hdd, 3 extra fans and a couple of cc lights. The Psu (True 430) is barely warm, so I think it's pretty safe to assume it's nowhere near its limits.

schismspeak

Alright it seemed to happen with the blue led ones more often, but I think that is cause most people had the blue rather than the plain, I would rma it, also ask them if they have had a higher than average amount of failures for the True power series, specifically the 430's and 480's, they may not be allowed to tell you but it is worth a try, and let us know what they say if they say.;)

I Really doubt it was overloaded, hope all your other parts are in working order..

12am

Hmm that's wierd with my specs (check sig) + the 3hd's and dvd rom + 7 fans I don't have listed in there while running a enermax 431w psu I've never happened upon any probs like that. Is it possible that you got a large power spike and that took out the psu? because I've never heard of a psu blowing up under normal circumstances before.

PAWO

Thats reassuring....considering my Main server runs one of those 24/7 (see sig)....and its got way more on it than your setup did....oh well...so far its been ok....hope it stays that way, I've never had a PSU blow out so maybe I will remain lucky.

bumpeez

antec

Same thing happened to me but it took about 2 weeks so I just returned it. Got a Thermaltake Xlaser3 no problems everything worked.