• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did my mobo just die in front of my eyes?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gamefan

I tried installing XPPro on a IBM Deskstar 30GB 7200 ATA HDD, and I thought the HDD had problems. The os was fully installed the first time but then started crashing so I tried to install it again, and I had to tre-try copying files over and over with enter key just trying.

then error "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer"....disable cache or shadowing

*** STOP 0x0000008E(... " screen

Then after re-installing yet again and I couldn't even format the HDD. 99%....Setup is unable to format the partition. Fixed any jumper problems.

Then I get 5 boots in a row with 5 errors as follows:

1 ntkrnlmp.exe cannot be loaded
2 file ql12160 is corrupted
3 file sbpport.sys is corrupted
4 unkown BIOS error Error code=FFFF
5 STOP blue screen text STOP....

I thought the HDD was dead. aLL PARTS WERE APART but I had JUST RE-AASEMBLED EVERYTHING (CORRECTLY i ASSUME). whoops. Its a $250 Asus mobo & I JUST bought a NEW XPPro disk for it and all else (this (newly re-planned for wi-fi family use) P4 2.6C cost me over a grand just a few ago)! .

I put the HDD in another pooter and it formatted fine (& installed) win2kPro. So I put the HDD back in the pooter I want to install xpPro on and it was telling me cannot find P4C800ED.ROM (begging for the CD drive) & beeping like crazy "BAD BIOS checksum"

So I found the ORIGINAL BIOS app CD disk quickly and it found its file it was screaming for and re-FLASHED the BIOS - by itself (like last chance before death)!!!. Told me to power down and re-start. No, but it was not the same BIOS. But the BIOS on the disk was old I had updated it since then. DEAD.

So it went from a dead HDD to a desperate BIOS flash to ... nothing on screen (blackness) and a spinning cpu fan but no spinning FX5900 vid card fan.

What did I do. What can I do? btw is BSOD black or blue & empty or text? Can I short pins. Help. Knowledge pls.

Last edited:

=ACID RAIN=

If you have reseated everything and it still can't boot, try a PCI video card to make sure it's not the other card. Still nothing? RMA it.

BSOD refers to the Blue Screen Of Death in windows.

=ACID RAIN=

Oh yeah, the 30 deskstar hails from the deathstar days. Ditch that drive for nearly anything else. I can't count how many of those I've had to replace, and since the head crashes into the platter, it's not even recoverable by most recovery companies, unless you pay for advanced recovery options.

OP
G

gamefan

DAMN ITS A AGP NOT A PCI VID CARD

the HDD apears to be usable. I do have a pci vid card (ahh, garbage and long walks) so check back tomorrow please.

Let me clarify what I have...a misbehaving pooter (had it bad)...so,a bad HDD (no, tho I was sure it was).... files gone crazy (maybe)....gimme BIOS or die (ok, whoops thats the original BIOS file, not the last I did, nor latest: the beep was continuous; I was panicked). Maybe now (maybe) I did from bad to worse. Anybody?.... Black screen of nothingness now.

So I am pretty sure whatever it was came up .... in BIOS. But now what do i do for it? I bet it won't boot because it needed flashing for whatever reason and it started it by itself and it asked me for the *.ROM file and I gave it (the wrong older) one. SO it ain't showing nothing. What can I do for it? I'll try to vid tommorrow for sure (can't remember how or why), if nothing else. What about the reset thingy? Hey, at least its a removable BIOS eh, I know that much I think ( I looked back when!). Anybody say PROM machine in Toronto?

Last edited:

=ACID RAIN=

If you have the black screen and you are satisfied it is truly the mobo, it's time to RMA. there usually is no recovery now, unless your mobo manual has some trick in it, or you have a dual-bios setup (which I don't believe you do).

OP
G

gamefan

well i k ow I'm a bad person, but this mobo is not a new model. afaik this is (now) a general question and not necc specific to the era. It has a P4 2.6C (single) core cpu with DDR1120 RAM (circa DDR400) and means a lot to me (us now). it has worked with almost exact same parts until...what the heck is all this about, I just tried to give it a XpPro os (legit).

DAMN ITS A AGP NOT A PCI VID CARD

Last edited:

=ACID RAIN=

LMAO. Don'tcha just hate that?? I did that recently when I could have sworn I had a SATA laptop drive laying around, and when I finally found it it turned out to be a IDE drive. Sux, because that meant I couldn't put it in my new laptop as a secondary drive.

Anyways, I really think the board is dead now, or rather the BIOS chip. I would spend 15 bucks and get a new chip to see, if you really like that mobo that much.

OP
G

gamefan

The question still remains if it was the fact I gave it the wrong file. Did I give it the wrong file (*.ROM)? I have certainly put newer files onto a floppy since updating the BIOS since new and it came with its' disk. Same type of file? I think I had to re-name to that name btw fwiw now when I did do the BIOS upgrading. Can the wrong file be the reason it shows nothing on screen? The reason it happened so fast improperly was it was beeping and it was repeating the search process for the file, the same lines of text kept popping up, and I didn't know how long it was going to keep doing the search (for the file "on cd").

I am still up in the air as to what happened, and what can be done, if anything; and if anything did go "wrong"? even w/o a pci card. I have to re-re-reseach tom. tia.

muddocktor

Retired
Hello gamefan, what model motherboard is this? If you can give Tmod your motherboard model number and what version of bios you want, he can fix you a new bios chip for your board. But before you do that, how old is this board? If it's as old as the P4 processor in it, then there might be something else going out on the motherboard and not just the bios chip being stuffed.

BTW, since you are discussing a socket 478 system instead of an LGA775 system, I am going to move this to the proper forum for it.

OP
G

gamefan

Ya, not only do I not know if the wrong file killled the BIOS, I don't know if the BIOS is killed, &/or if I fix the BIOS if the whole problem will go away. It was all acting funny when I put it back together this time and I had idea it was HDD, but wasn't then file loading problems (google said improper BIOS settings for some code def'ns). Can you tell me what you mean by there may be more going on...?

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe . Rev 2.00

BIOS: 4Mb (FWH) Firmware Hub Flash ROM removable chip
PPCE6
GMU22

S478 3.2GHz +
FSB 800/533/400 (did an easy 1150 with EL4200 RAM I have)
875P
ICH5R
Promise PDC20378 for multi-RAID
8x AGP (pci-e just arriving)
onboard LAN, sound
P4 2.6C GHz SL6WS COSTA RICA
Purchased in 2004 for $273.70. Made In Taiwan.

Asus has removed it from its (product - even older) list of mobos where I like to start looking. There was zero single faster for the late great C series 2.4GHz cpu. I had a (1/2 as oc'able) 2.6GHz tho. Maybe its under Support or Downloads: I know its not gone.

Last edited:
OP
G

gamefan

So where do I start today. Other than re&re all the connections:

Will it help to clear the battery routine?

What about trying to get into the flash the BIOS proceedure?

Will I (automatically) have a bad checksum and /or disaster if I wrote an old CED.ROM BIOS version file &/OR can "I" fix this?

Last edited:

MadMan007

Magical Leopluridon Senior
Also take a careful look at the components on the board, especially the capacitors. Make sure none are bulged or leaking, sometimes you have to look really close to notice bulging. This sounds like a hardware issue to me beyond even a bad BIOS flash, probably some component on the mobo or the PSU.

OP
G

gamefan

i think the mobo has no cap prob I have heard (all looks solid) of and the Enermax EG-465PV E SFC, cost be $125 juts a few years ago, shoyuld be good. But hey I do think there is somehing wrong right.

SO:

How do I clear the BIOS and do I need files. I think the last thing I'll need is files.

Pull the cord, turn off, disassemble all parts. Pull battery for 1/2 hour. Reassemble minimum and hope> good plan? Do I also need to find ands short pins TOO or will that proceddure follow everything this needs?

OK I found the 3 pin jumper for clear CMOS which needs power out off nayway, so I'll do trhat too for rec 5-10 seconds. I bet I have the renamed old and new proper BIOS version floppy around too. I'l find that and also go to asus.com for the other BIOS. Disassembling it now.

For the BIOS I need afudos.exe on a bootable floppy, and the (last or latest) BIOS file, renaming the old(er) ones w/ _old11, _old1014 etc. Boot with it, and type afudos /iP4C800ED.ROM

Last edited:
OP
G

gamefan

ok I tore it apart & bench assembled it after resetting and pulling battery for 40 mins. minimum pcomponents and it booted, showed the post screen text messages, I hit F1 & got into the BIOS setup. Made all kinds of changes, but it was all working (with different options, settings tho for whatever reason) YAAAA.

Then Save settings and exit under BIOS. Nothing on screen. BOOO.

So I reset a couple times, saw nothing. Right now I powered down (hard boot) and am about to restart for 1st time....................

showed the post screen text messages, I hit F1 & got into the BIOS setup. I had set boot only to floppy and the bootable last BIOS floppy I had in. I'm at an A: prompt. I've got a HDD NTFS formatted with w2Kpro & everything else on the bench, and a BIOS I don't know when from. How do I get it together for XPpro in a case with the "right" BIOS, which may be this one, if all works.

I guess I can try shutting down and restarting before putting it all back, but I'm not sure I want to continue settting up the os and everything as final as is on the bench just to disassemble and find out its broke again.

i think it splashes the BIOS version when I re-boot if I can catch it while rebooting. Theres some version number codes I don't recognize as relevant inside the BIOS settings screen. This info I think should be determined first, but how?

BTW, if when I do get to installing XPpro is there any want need to try re-formatting the HDD again in NTFS. THE ONLY reason I would try this first is if its better to do so. I was just done. ANy better to do it again. All I know is NTFS 2kPro vs. NTFS XPpro. I thought I was having major troubles with (this) HDD when all this started.

DAMN DAMN DMAN NOTHING ON SCREEN AFTER RE-(HARD) BOOT!!!!!!!!!!
DAMN DAMN DMAN NOTHING ON SCREEN AFTER RE-(HARD) BOOT!!!!!!!!!!
DAMN DAMN DMAN NOTHING ON SCREEN AFTER RE-(HARD) BOOT!!!!!!!!!! (but I did unplug 5 mins to add 2 more 256MB sticks; batts still in)

Last edited: