• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did you come here a senior?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Christoph

JAPH Senior
Obviously, this question only applies to seniors. I don't care who reads this thread, but I'm most interested in opinions from our senior members.

From what I can tell, being chosen for seniorhood involves 2 major components; attitude and knowledge. You have to be willing to help people, and you have to know enough to help them. My question is this: which of these characteristics did you seniors get from outside of the forums (job, school, life, etc.), and which did you get from the forums?

I got my overclocking knowledge from the forums, but my attitude was already set before I came in. I had a very good knowledge of computers before I joined.

i was fairly well versed in comp stuff before joining. even knew how to o/c a little. knew NOTHING about cooling. i was trying to overclock a 1 ghz athlon with the stock hs :-/

most of my o/c brains grew after joining here. attitude was mostly set before joining. a little fine tuning along the way :)

I basically learned all about computer hardware and building rigs here although I had been around computers most of my life. This is also the first forum I was really involved with:D Basically I just try to be helpfull.

I knew enough about computers to be the local computer nerd, but this place has really expanded my knoledge. There's so much info here now in fact, that I can't keep up with all the new stuff!! :D

Attitude... Preset for senior-ness. :D
JigPu

I got both from outside.

Started posting here cause someone else I knew was, and some weird thing clutched me and compelled me to keep posting.

Computer knowledge here and a slight attitude change here too. Obviously I came here at age 13 and I was very immature and I typed in the typical online way, "wuz, wut, cuz" etc.

Christoph said:
From what I can tell, being chosen for seniorhood involves 2 major components; attitude and knowledge. You have to be willing to help people, and you have to know enough to help them. My question is this: which of these characteristics did you seniors get from outside of the forums (job, school, life, etc.), and which did you get from the forums?

Im still curious what I did to get promoted... lol

I am and always have been a person thats overly calm. It takes quite a bit to get me ryled up and even more when it comes to online. Im just a calm person really. Which, when dealing with some of the folks out there, its a real perk. lol

I think as far as all this goes, Ive always been a firm believer of the old sayin, Do unto others as you would want them to do unto you. or something like that. So, when I needed help, folks around here helped me out. So, when I can, I try to do the same. Kinda hand me down kinda thing. Someone helped me, I help someone else (hopefully) and they help someone else later on.

Still tryin to figure out why I was promoted....

Re: Re: Did you come here a senior?

IFMU said:

Im still curious what I did to get promoted... lol

I am and always have been a person thats overly calm. It takes quite a bit to get me ryled up and even more when it comes to online. Im just a calm person really. Which, when dealing with some of the folks out there, its a real perk. lol

I think as far as all this goes, Ive always been a firm believer of the old sayin, Do unto others as you would want them to do unto you. or something like that. So, when I needed help, folks around here helped me out. So, when I can, I try to do the same. Kinda hand me down kinda thing. Someone helped me, I help someone else (hopefully) and they help someone else later on.

Still tryin to figure out why I was promoted....

We keep telling you, the Randomizer was malfunctioning that day... :D

(We can't figure it out either....) ;) :p

j/k bud. You earned it.

What makes a Senior??

When I joined up, the forums were significantly smaller than they are now. We probably promoted people at about the same "quantity" we do now...if we were promoting on a ratio basis, based on membership totals, these days we'd be promoting so many people that the promotion would lose it's value.

I got my "blues" by doing what is outlined in the "sticky" at the top here...there's basically five things we look for;

1. A willingness to help others, particularly when an individual has little personal interest in the topic or problem. As when a Senior helps a beginner with a problem which has been discussed many times in the past.
2. A demonstrated patience and reserve in dealing with disagreeable people.
3. The ability to discuss or disagree in a topic on the basis of REASON rather than personal attacks, which never further knowledge, but can only wound hearts.
4.A reasonable to good back ground in overclocking and cooling combined with a general knowledge of hardware as a whole.
5. Approximately three - four months in our forum. Time to demonstrate a continuing interest in our forum and allow us to determine the presence of the afore mentioned qualities.

What I did was to pass along all and any knowledge I had acquired here, to the next person that came along asking the same questions....even the mundane questions like "How do I unlock my intel's multiplier?" and "What's the AMD "pencil trick"?"

#2 and 3 kinda go together..basically, using reason, calmly and rationally discussed and debated technical things with others. If I saw they were severely in the wrong, I would gently point out their error, and direct them to the info that was correct. I didn't reply with such things like "d00d...ur a spoonhead!! Get a clue!! WFT r u thinkin??"

#4 came about as a result of #1. I read, asked, read, read some more, answered, was willing to listen to those who informed me I was wrong when I was, learned from my mistakes, read even more. 99+% of everything technical I know about PC's I learned right here in these Forums.

#5 is somewhat flexible. The timeframe isn't as important as the last sentence of this parameter: "Time to demonstrate a continuing interest in our forum and allow us to determine the presence of the afore mentioned qualities."

I didn't "come here" a Senior. I came here with an open mind, a willingness to listen and learn, when needed, an ability to bite my tongue and walk away from a thread when I knew there was no reasoning with the other person. The desire to help others learn what I had freely given to me by those who came here before me.

These 5 parameters are still our guide today...they have not changed since thier inception. This is how I became a Senior Member, and how every other person who has Blue Stars (or higher) became one too.

B.

Computer knowledge? Yes.
Attitude? Yes.
Overclocking-specific knowledge? Not really. I knew enough to do it, but I couldn't do it well.

This is the first online forum I ever joined and took part in. I knew very little about computers when I first came here a couple years ago (I'd take my computer to a shop to have a stick of RAM added back then).... This place is full of people with a willingness to explain things and help, so the attitude is kind of contagious. And after more than 200 hours/week on this forum for a full year, I was pretty well-endowed with knowledge and the "helpful spirit of OC".

Almost all that I know about computer hardware and windows I learned here. I was discovered by the Network Manager for a small corporation and was hired on as an administrator and trained in Linux and Unix, so a lot of my knowledge of networking and those OS's came from my job. Yet, I was discovered by this Network Manager right here in these forums.

So in a way, it all came from here. Thanks OC!

Well, I defintely picked up a lot of knowledge here. In some cases, the discussions here sparked my interest in something, and then I researched it by myself.

I think my attitude was mostly determined before I came here, but it sort of evolved as I stayed longer. When I signed up, I was in search of knowledge, but as I learned more, I started conveying the knowledge I had to others. I think that was partly due to a desire to be helpful that I've had for a while, and partly because of the environment here.

Re: Re: Re: Did you come here a senior?

Mr B said:
I didn't "come here" a Senior. I came here with an open mind, a willingness to listen and learn, when needed, an ability to bite my tongue and walk away from a thread when I knew there was no reasoning with the other person. The desire to help others learn what I had freely given to me by those who came here before me.

That's exactly what I meant. I think it is, at least. I'm not so sure about that last sentance. :D

Thanks to all who've responded.
Althought I hope that other people learn other things from this thread, I was hoping for responses from XWRed1 and Titan386. Their knowledge of Linux seems deeper than these forums routinely go, and I was curious where it came from. Neither of their responses surprise me too much, but it's encouraging that I can get to that level by researching.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Did you come here a senior?

Christoph said:

That's exactly what I meant. I think it is, at least. I'm not so sure about that last sentance. :D

"The desire to help others learn what I had freely given to me by those who came here before me."

What I mean by this is wanting to help my fellow overclocker by passing on the knowledge freely given to me, by those who were here when I first came here.

Pass it on... "Freely ye recieved, freely give..."

B.

Ode to OC

Friends and strangers passing by,
You are now as once was I.
I am now as you shall be.
Prepare to fry stuff and follow me.

i didnt get much experince outside this forums

this is the first forum i ever really did

i like tinkering with comptuers and stuff and this forum was like a gold mine

so i came for the knowlege and stayed for the comunity

Back