• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did you come here a senior?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Did you come here a senior?

Christoph said:

Althought I hope that other people learn other things from this thread, I was hoping for responses from XWRed1 and Titan386. Their knowledge of Linux seems deeper than these forums routinely go, and I was curious where it came from.

Oh, well in that case, I can go into a bit more detail about my Linux "evolution", so to speak.

When I mentioned in my post that things I've seen here sparked my interest in certain topics, one of the topics I was referring to was Linux. Shortly after I joined here last June, I discovered the Alt OS forum and started reading it. At this point, I barely knew what Linux was, and had never used it.

A few weeks later, I downloaded Red Hat 7.3, and with a bit of courage, help from these boards, and with my XP disk ready in case I screwed something up, I set up a dual boot. I got lucky, and everything worked the first try.

If I remember correctly, I installed Linux sometime last July, or possible August. I would have to say that I learned the most in the first month or so that I used it. And a lot of my knowledge I gained simply from doing. After many unsuccessful attempts at installing the NVidia drivers, I got them to work. Then I got Samba to work. And so on, building to my system's functionality and my knowledge with each step.

So, where did my knowledge come from? I can think of a few places: these boards ;) , places like www.tldp.org , the book "Running Linux" by O'reilly, and things like man pages.

However, the most important thing is to actually attempt something if you want to build to your knowledge. You could read the Samba docs and pick up a decent amount of information, but that pales to what you'll learn if you install and configure Samba yourself.

BTW, one thing that I've noticed is that I only know things that I have real experience doing; I guess that's just the way I learn best. For example, my sound card seems to be very Linux friendly, and the driver is included in the standard kernel. So if someone asks me how to install sound card drivers beyond those that come with the kernel, I'm totally clueless :)

One thing that's nice about Linux is that there is so much to learn, if you want to learn it. My knowledge is limited to common stuff, and its really very small. I do try to continually add to it though.

Wow, I did a lot of rambling in this post. To sum up my point:
If you want to learn how to do something, do it.

BTW, one thing that I've noticed is that I only know things that I have real experience doing; I guess that's just the way I learn best.

Thats my thing too. I've been pretty much Microsoft free for a while now. Run Linux on my desktop and laptop, use it where I can, always have projects on my plate. I've even reverted now, if someone has a weird Windows problem all I know to recommend is to retry, reboot, or reinstall.

I'm not even in the overclocker thing. I used to have an overclocked P133 on a Via board (PC66 ram at 112mhz bus), an overclocked K6-2, a Celeron 300a, and a pair of Celeron 366s at 550. But it just doesn't seem to be worth the effort anymore. Nowadays it seems overclocking isn't too rewarding and you probably end up with an unstable system in return for a decent overclock.

That and my board now has zero overclocking features. If it did I suppose I would go in and bump the multiplier or the bus to a proper figure, but I wouldn't go nutzo with watercooling.

Getting back on track though, the best thing is to learn by doing. If you want to learn Linux, try and find something good to use it for. Maybe you've got a gameserver or something you want to set up. Use it for that and set up *everything* just the way you want it, with plenty of research along the way.

AZN said:
william, wernt u a mod before? did u get demoted ;)

I'm starting to like your sig

i'm not a Sr. member but b4 i got here...i thought i knew alot but i infact did not know much of anything lol

Re: Re: Re: Did you come here a senior?

Mr B said:

I came here with an open mind, a willingness to listen and learn

i obviously arent a senior, but that is how i came to the forums. [really off topic] i actually came to the forumsafter reading something in pc world that recomemnded overclocker.com then i checked out the forum, then i thought id come with an open mind and learn new things. well, it worked. [/end really off topic]

I was wondering, what is the benefits of becoming a senior?

couldnt it have its disadvantages? for example, the disadvantage of my 7 stars is when i asked how to o/c a video card (lol please dont ask), i got alot of :rolleyes: he he. basically what im saying, is becaoming a senior, can be a disadvantage because people dont think of you as an equal, the think of you as a person higher on the food chain.

one more thing [very very very very off topic] does the rumored "blue room" exist?

modenaf1 said:

i obviously arent a senior, but that is how i came to the forums. [really off topic] i actually came to the forumsafter reading something in pc world that recomemnded overclocker.com then i checked out the forum, then i thought id come with an open mind and learn new things. well, it worked. [/end really off topic]

I was wondering, what is the benefits of becoming a senior?

couldnt it have its disadvantages? for example, the disadvantage of my 7 stars is when i asked how to o/c a video card (lol please dont ask), i got alot of :rolleyes: he he. basically what im saying, is becaoming a senior, can be a disadvantage because people dont think of you as an equal, the think of you as a person higher on the food chain.

one more thing [very very very very off topic] does the rumored "blue room" exist?

One of the things I like about these forums is the strong equality. The mods /admins have a job to do, but they're not reluctant to jump right in and ask/answer questions too. The way I view senioristicity is as a seal of quality, saying that the advice you get from this person is very likely to be good advice. It doesn't mean that you won't get better advice from a regular member, just that the average blue post is better than the average orange post.

There's a blue room, a green room, a red room and a pink room. The blue room is usually uninteresting and it goes down from there (from what I've heard). The pink room is where skip makes his sacrifices to the uptime gods. Not even the admins know about it. Skip said he'd kill me ifffasf'jg'as gja///

I came to the forums for help building my first computer. I'm probably one of the least computer savy staff members. I do have a good grounding in general science, critical thinking/problem solving, and other stuff that helps out a lot. My attitude developed as a combination of tyring to be a good teacher and a good person. Since it would be laughable to think that I got blues as a result of computer knowledge, I'd have to say I got them mainly on the strength of things I learned and developed elsewhere.

timmyqwest said:

I'm starting to like your sig

i'm not a Sr. member but b4 i got here...i thought i knew alot but i infact did not know much of anything lol

you know its really sad, before i came here i knew almost nothing

yet i knew more about computers than everyone i knew lol (ex my mom saying, whats the button to turn [the computer] it on?)

modenaf1 said:
basically what im saying, is becaoming a senior, can be a disadvantage because people dont think of you as an equal, the think of you as a person higher on the food chain.

Well the next time you see anyone tryin to say all the blues are higher on the food chain in a place like this, tell them just to do a search on my name and they will quickly come to realize, not all of us are higher, some are just a tad lower!

XWRed1 said:

They give us free reign to the company jet and batmobile.

Dang nab it! I done told everyone to keep yer paws off da Batmobile. I'm tired of picking up anti-static bags from under the seats and seeing the fuel gauge sitting on empty. Plus, you can't overclock the egine by changing the spark plug wires around, those are not jumpers, that only makes it run worse.

I joined the forum with some computer knowledge and basic overclocking skills. Computers have been my passion for about 12 years now ever since I bought my first Commodore 64. I got into overclocking back when I was a poor grad student when I needed a more powerful system, but couldn't afford it.

My first overclock was changing a jumper on a P-120 to make it run at 133 MHz (WOW). First I learned to upgrade parts. I then put three of my systems together from scratch over several years. My first major overclock was an Abit BH6/Celly 300 running at 450. Then I got an Abit SE6/Celly 566 running at 850. Was trying to run that thing faster when I stumbled across the forum.

One of the senior guys here (Tim) patiently spent time with me and taught me about cooling. With his help, I finally got that Celly 566 up to 978 MHz. That was back during the race to join the 1 gig club. I was hooked on the forum then. Next I bought an Abit SA6-R and P-III 700 which I ran at 1050 for 1-1/2 years.

Attitude is everything about being a senior. I'm not talking about my occasional grumpy attitude either. I mean the desire to never stop learning and the eagerness to pass this knowledge on to others. Being a senior here on the forums is not a promotion in rank, it's an honor and a previlege.

There are some super folks here in the forums. The diversity of our members is our strong point. Ask a question and at least someone will know the answer. Besides, it's nice to hang out with others that share the same obsessions... instead of having to enroll in one of those 12 step addiction programs.

Arkaine23 said:
This is the first online forum I ever joined and took part in. I knew very little about computers when I first came here a couple years ago (I'd take my computer to a shop to have a stick of RAM added back then)....

... Almost all that I know about computer hardware and windows I learned here...

... So in a way, it all came from here. Thanks OC!

Ditto.

If you want to know why I stepped down as a senior you'll have to PM me as everyone's tired of hearing about it :rolleyes:.

modenaf1 said:
really, what are the benefits of becaomming a senior, besides cool looking blue stars?

i think there is some "blue room" that only seniors and mods can go to, maybe thats just a myth though... but you get a little more respect from lots of people and the good feeling of getting recognized for what you have done... (but i guess a senior could prolly answer better, i think thats what i would feel...)

Nah, the blue room's real... Just try going HERE!

BWAHAHAHAHA!! YOU CAN'T GET IN!!!!

Other than the spiffy room (personally, I'd LOVE to see the Green and Red rooms), there aren't many perks. We got a toilet seat though, so watch out if/when you become the n00b senior :D

JigPu

Actually the rooms just get more boring as you go up. The cameraderie gets tighter, but the green room is mostly business of one form or another. The red room is pretty much dead.

Man I feel like a passenger in the economy section and hearing the mods/seniors/admins drinking wine and having a merry ole time in first class. :(

:D

illwillchill said:
Man I feel like a passenger in the economy section and hearing the mods/seniors/admins drinking wine and having a merry ole time in first class.

[super-tangent]
That got me thinking...
Economy has two meanings (and some others that I don't care about): 1) the current financial state of a region 2) frugality or thrift
Since spending more money is good for the financial state of a region, you could say that...
economy is bad for the economy!
[/super-tangent]

Christoph said:

[super-tangent]
That got me thinking...
Economy has two meanings (and some others that I don't care about): 1) the current financial state of a region 2) frugality or thrift
Since spending more money is good for the financial state of a region, you could say that...
economy is bad for the economy!
[/super-tangent]

yoda.jpg

Sense this makes not.

Back