• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dieing PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cbakey

My computer compleitly locks up sometimes, no mouse movement nothing works, the only to restart is the reset button. I do run overclocked 12*136 @ 1.8 vcore,(1900+) i have seen it spike,and sometimes overvolt to 1.92, when set to 1.85 My PSU is a powerman 300w. The reason i think it is the power supply is becouse sometimes when it complity locks i can head the hard drive restart.

stool

Powerman are pretty much just generic PSUs, so you are probably better off investing in a good quality PSU.

larrymoencurly

Powerman or Powmax? Powerman is Fortron-Source-POWERMAN and is really good. Powmax is so-so, at best. OTOH I have a 500 MHz K6-2 that locked up every day, whether it ran off a 300W Powmax or a 300W Fortron/Sparkle, and in neither case were any of the voltages bad when measured with a meter, including a meter that could record minimum and maximum over time. The problem must have been software because since switching it from Win98 to Win98SE, it's crashed a lot less.

I've also had bad memory cause lock ups, and in a couple of cases it took hours before MemTest86 detected errors with it.

OP
C

cbakey

It came with my case and voltages sometimes go way up to way down and it locks when vcore goes down.