• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Difference between 865PE and 875P??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

parallax

the only difference is PAT (makes data between the chipset/cpu/memory go a bit faster) and ECC memory support

in benchmarks, PAT means 4-5% faster

the price difference is like $30/$40, so I´d go for the 865PE right now, specially the P4P800 ;)

OP
Overclocker456

Overclocker456

ok.. that's EXACTLY what I thought. PAT. I wonder what it stands for. The real world difference is like 2% if not less.

kestrel

Asus enabled PAT on its P4P800 i865 springdale boards. Basically there's no difference at all between i865 and i875, intel just rates the 875 faster at the factory... same as the difference between a 3.0ghz P4C and a 2.4 P4C.

crotale

They are speed binned apart... Canterwood are more likely to give more overclocking head room...

momchi

Registered
PAT in P4P800

(HR)Titan said:
Asus enabled PAT on its P4P800 i865 springdale boards

where u find this

It was officially reported by ASUS. See:
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=199550&highlight=is+p4p800+faster

Also see:

ASUS Enables PAT On i865PE Based Mainboards!

by Anton Shilov
05/28/2003 | 09:41 AM

A web-site has revealed that ASUSTeK Computer enables Performance Acceleration Technology (also known as PAT), an exclusive feature of i875P core-logic, on its i865PE-based mainboards.

The Performance Acceleration Technology is only officially provided by Intel’s 875P “Canterwood” chipset when 800MHz Quad Pumped Bus and PC3200 DDR SDRAM memory is used. It ensures a 3-5% performance increase in most widely spread benchmarks and applications over i865PE/i865G GMCH. The idea of the PAT implies a better optimized interaction with the memory subsystem by removing a few stages from the memory addressing procedures and will also use more aggressive memory timings. Performance Acceleration Technology of i875P “Canterwood” resembles the Super Bypass Mode implemented in AMD750 chipsets. Intel claims that this mode is only available with the i875P because of very special and excellent silicon used for its manufacturing. But ASUS tries to proof that their mainboards powered by i865PE core-logic also provide PAT despite of Intel’s official statements.

As I have just read over http://www.ocworkbench.com/ocwbcgi/newspro/viewnews.cgi?newsid1054130329,95381, to enable Intel’s Performance Acceleration Technology on ASUS P4P800 and other mainboards based on the same i865PE chipset you need to perform the following steps:

Enter BIOS setup utility;
Select “Advanced” menu;
Select “Chipset” configuration;
Enabled Memory Acceleration Mode;
Your system is now PAT ready.
I have no idea if ASUS really enables PAT or just performs certain other BIOS optimizations or simply increases memory or Quad Pumped Bus frequency, but this seems to be a very dangerous action against i875P core-logic in any case. If we can get PAT without paying a lot of money for i875P, then we will never buy the latter. This may force Intel to cut prices on its i875P in order to make it more attractive to end-users in DIY market especially keeping in mind the fact that difference in performance between i865PE and i875P is tiny.

micamica1217

PAT dosn't seem to "truly" be enabled....
at best, it just seems that asus is helping to run your memory at slightly better timmings, or giving a slight boost to mem frequency.

it was already showed that asus's P4P800 is no faster then any canterwood mobo.
yes, asus cheated by clocking the FSB 3mhz faster then the setting. ie: if set at 200fsb...the p4p800 is realy at 203fsb.

I fear that most springdales will not OC as high as the canterwoods.

if you realy want to see the best reviews on the P4P800, just goto the asus mobo section of this forum.

mica

Last edited:

12si

ABit also has something like that. Enabling PAT (although they call it something else) through a BIOS update. And I heard that for p4p800, overclocking will remove pat

caater

plus now albatron and supposedly aopen have introduced pat to their springdale boards..