• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Difference? Tbred And Pal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Avalanche

ok i want to get a new chip but i dont know what the difference is between the tbred and pal, is there something you get out of the .13 micron that you dont get with the .18? also i know that the pals run cooler, so whats the deal?

juliendogg

not a big difference, actually, almost none clock for clock. the t-breds advantage (especially as it matures and we see some better steppings) will be its increased headroom for o/c'ing due to it's smaller die size, lower operating voltage. cha ching.

flixotide

The difference to note, as stated before, is the lower voltage... so go for the tbred, otherwise you quickly hit a heat barrier.

Cheers, Flixotide

Starfoxer

World's Biggest E-Thug
from what i have seen, a tbred 1800+ will run hotter than a palomino 1800+ as all of that heat is concentrated into a smaller
space....that is at least what i have experienced as i have owned
2 tbreds and 3 palos

Yodums

Starfoxer said:
from what i have seen, a tbred 1800+ will run hotter than a palomino 1800+ as all of that heat is concentrated into a smaller
space....that is at least what i have experienced as i have owned
2 tbreds and 3 palos

Yeh, the T-Bred have a smaller surface area 0.13micron as opposed to the 0.15micron on the Palomino core. Having a small surface area, the heat doesn't have room to spread and it builds up resistance (Heat).

Yodums

The Coolest

Yodums said:

Yeh, the T-Bred have a smaller surface area 0.13micron as opposed to the 0.15micron on the Palomino core. Having a small surface area, the heat doesn't have room to spread and it builds up resistance (Heat).

Yodums

first of all yodums I suggest you read your posts after you post and fix errors ;)
..the 0.15micron on the...
But most of what he said IS true, but the heat issue is only present on the Tbred As, as AMD revised the Tbred core and added another layer of metal which aids in cooler running processor and higher potencial clock speeds.
Right now the 2700+ should have the AIUGB stepping, which from what I hear can go to even 2500MHz w/o extreme measures, only using good air cooling or water, on water even 2600MHz can be attained.

Tipycol

Yodums said:

Yodums

Don't the Palies have a .18 micron core? Don't mean to be a spell checker, just wanna know if it's .15 or .18

The Coolest

Read my post above yours. The graphics chips did/do use the 0.15µm technology, but the CPUs went straight from the 0.18 to the 0.13µm process

OP
A

Avalanche

i was lookin at the AUIGA 1800+, those get pretty hot? cuz if not ill just wait to get a audigy 2 and get a 2400+

Tipycol

K thanks...you're The Coolest

Avalanche, how long are you planning to wait? Cause Tbred B 1800's are supposed to be coming out and should have the same core as the 2400.

Tipycol

Hmm...well I dunno if they'd be out by then. Hopefully, in 2 weeks you'll get a good stepping and week for your 2400, and OC it to 2500MHz ;)

Last edited:
OP
A

Avalanche

heh, im looking at an audigy 2 + 1800 AIUGA...comes out to same price..duno though =/