• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

differences in Athlon XP's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IceMan3928

I have recently heard that aside from stepping, all Athlon XP models (ie:1500-2000) are the same, the only thing different is the factory set multiplier setting, is this true? If it is wouldnt that mean you could buy an XP 1500+ and o/c it to the speed of a 2000+ without any significant heat gain or sability problems (provided that you unlocked the processor first and only used the multiplier to overclock with)?

Athlon XP 1700+, 256 MB CAS 2 RAM, Asus A7V266-E,
SB Audigy Platinum, PNY GeForce 3 Ti-500, Koolance PC2-601 water cooling

donny_paycheck

Inactive Super Quad Mod
WELCOME to the overclockers forums!

You're right. Supposing you could find a XP 1500+ with the AGOGA stepping of the 2100+ CPUs you could unlock the multiplier and get it up to 1.7ghz without any voltage increase. The problem is, all the 1500+ chips are AGKGA. AMD hasn't made any AGNGA or AGOGA CPUs under 1900+ speeds as far as I know.

Hurk

I have a 1700+ AGOGA. :x

donny_paycheck said:
WELCOME to the overclockers forums!

You're right. Supposing you could find a XP 1500+ with the AGOGA stepping of the 2100+ CPUs you could unlock the multiplier and get it up to 1.7ghz without any voltage increase. The problem is, all the 1500+ chips are AGKGA. AMD hasn't made any AGNGA or AGOGA CPUs under 1900+ speeds as far as I know.

donny_paycheck

Inactive Super Quad Mod
Hurk said:
I have a 1700+ AGOGA. :x

MY GOD!!

I stand corrected. I wouldn't be surprised to see that thing hit 2100+(1700mhz) speeds with just a multiplier increase. When did you buy it?

Silver

Senior Citizen (aka old fart)
You asked for it Donny when you said that they had'nt made any. After you sent that you should have known that there would be at least one.:D

donny_paycheck

Inactive Super Quad Mod
OnDborder said:
Does the same theory apply to T-birds?
For example mine? See sig.

I would say so. This is the main reason why people get picky buying CPUs if they can specify the stepping of the core. Newer core steppings tend to be able to hit higher clock speeds.

Yeah, Silver, I shoulda known somebody would pop out of the woodwork and prove me wrong....AGAIN. *shakes fist at Hurk*

JCviggen

even though AGOGA/AGOIA 16/17/1800+ exist, they have less good cores than the 2000/2100+ with those cores. They didn't make them a 1700+ (for example) for no reason. They will overclock well, but in most cases are not good enough to reliable run 2000/2100+ speeds at 1.75, keeping into account they need a margin for stability ... not everyone has great cooling

Hurk

Yeah I bought it Retail a couple weeks ago. I had some problems with it at first with my board, but it's great now. I haven't tried overclocking it yet, and I don't want to unlock it. I just crushed a core of my T-Bird 1.0Ghz AXIA, and I'm a little shakey on crushing another. My system with retail HSF runs about 39*C. My friends retail 1800+ runs at about 50*C. His is an AGKGA (I believe). Any thoughts at why mine runs so much cooler?

BTW: I'm going to do some FSB testing, gonna see what I can do >=)

Silver

What mobo, what heat sinks do the two of you use. Are you both running the same voltage and have you looked at his vs your case cooling?

On the face of it your temps are very good while his are pretty warm.

Hurk

Silver said:
What mobo, what heat sinks do the two of you use. Are you both running the same voltage and have you looked at his vs your case cooling?

On the face of it your temps are very good while his are pretty warm.

I'm using the EPoX 8KHA, and he's using the MSI K7N. Both have the same HSF and 1 exhaust fan.

Hurk

OMG

I just overclocked my 1700+ AGOGA to from 1466Mhz to 1706Mhz.
At 1.92V.

That's FREAKIN INSANE! Wow.. That's with a retail HSF and it runs at about 42*C. I am very impressed. Imagine how much it could OC if it were unlocked. (hmmmm)

I do have some pics of SiSoft Sandra and all the specs. I'm not totally sure how to post them here though.

BTW: It said it posted as a XP 2000+.. Should it do that?

Last edited:

Silver

Re: OMG

Hurk said:
At 1.92V.

That's FREAKIN INSANE! Wow.. That's with a retail HSF and it runs at about 42*C. I am very impressed. Imagine how much it could OC if it were unlocked. (hmmmm)

I do have some pics of SiSoft Sandra and all the specs. I'm not totally sure how to post them here though.

Hit the print screen key and then open paint. Paste it and save it I save it under c:\. Then open it with another program that will let you convert it to .jpg format and make sure it is no bigger than 600x600. When you answer here you will find at the bottom of the screen a "attach file". Hit the browse and find the modded file on your system and enter it. It will then be displayed with your message.

Hurk

Silver said:

Both using the same voltage?

I think he's using 1.75V and I was (unknowingly) using 1.84V

The lowest volage I could get 1706Mhz to post at was 1.82V.

Here's a pic.

Last edited:

Silver

Re: OMG

Hurk said:
At 1.92V.

Close, real close on the pic. It is posted as a link. Get one of the freeware or shareware or photo editing programs and conver the file to jpg and resize 600x 600 and the pic will post for all to see.

AS for his temps. He might want to take the heatsink off, clean up the as, reapply as and replace the heatsink. It appears right off that (all things equal) his heatsink is not correctly seated.

Hurk

Re: Re: OMG

Silver said:

Close, real close on the pic. It is posted as a link. Get one of the freeware or shareware or photo editing programs and conver the file to jpg and resize 600x 600 and the pic will post for all to see.

AS for his temps. He might want to take the heatsink off, clean up the as, reapply as and replace the heatsink. It appears right off that (all things equal) his heatsink is not correctly seated.

So is this a good "Basic" overclock?

BTW: Look at the CPU Fan Speed. w00t.

Hurk

Silver, I noticed you have a 1600+ overclocked real fine looking.

I can't seem to get my Voltage above 1.92V and below 1.72V.

Also, what is VDIMM voltage and what should that be at?

Silver

Hurk said:
Silver, I noticed you have a 1600+ overclocked real fine looking.

I can't seem to get my Voltage above 1.92V and below 1.72V.

Also, what is VDIMM voltage and what should that be at?

Some of the newer xp1600s are breaking well into the 1800s with air now. I have been thinking about it but will wait for now and see what the price on the xp1900 does (shot at 2Ghz) and what AMDs newest does. Thank you though. I always have to push them hard as I don't get those sweet chips, ever. Take a pic of sandras cpu test and post it for all to see, after all it is your first oc and is a good one. Remember to resize it to 600x600. Do exactly as you did above but crop it to just the results and resize to 600x600. To get more voltage a vmod may have to be done. With a vmod of course comes more heat and the need for better cooling.

40 to 45c = good
46 to 50c = need to look for better cooling
50c and up = (other than short testing periods) not me.