• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Difficulties...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FriedAMD

Howdy, I'm new to both these forums and oc'ing. I'm running a Palomino AXP 2100+ on an ASUS a7v333 mobo, and have been experimenting with modest oc'ing for the past few days. I've been able to raise the FSB in BIOS from the stock 133mhz to 140mhz or so (keeping the multiplier at 13), but if I try to bump it past that, my system just hangs. Temperatures at 140mhz report in fine in BIOS, despite the fact I'm running stock cooling (I keep my case open and my room cold). Is there something I missed in one of the several extensive "overclocking guide" threads on these forums that I should be aware of? If this is the case, I apologize in advance. Thanks!

(Oh BTW, CPU vcore is at 1.75 V...higher than usual for my processor, I know, but I can't set it any lower in the bios).

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Yeah, 2100+ Palomino is the end of the line Palomino.
There are no 2200+ Palominos because they don't scale any more which is why they made Thoroughbreds.

You can take a 2100+ Thoroughbred B to 2.3 GHz average but 2100+ Palomino can't overclock much at all. Sorry.

OP
F

FriedAMD

I have PC2700. Not the best, I realize, but certainly better than PC2100.

Sorry to hear that c6. Guess it might be time to start considering upgrading to a Barton or something like that. I'd love to be able to sqeeze a bit more out of my current setup...bummer.

c627627

Yeah, eBay the Palomino, then get a mobile 2500+ or mobile 2600+ (do not get the 2400+) or if the $ is tight, go for the inexpensive 2100+ B, the only desktop CPU that is guaranteed to be multiplier unlocked and guaranteed to be an excellent overclocker (as far as cheap desktop CPUs go) with adequate cooling.

Docta_Z

You want to be taking temperature readings from windows with a program like motherboard monitor while the computer is running idle and while it's running under load to get a good idea of what temperatures it's experiencing.

A poor heatsink could hold you back significantly even in a cold room.

c627627

Good point, Docta_Z,
while Barton retail heatsinks can be used for some overclocking, Palomino as well as Thoroughbred retail heatsinks are enough for stock speeds but not for any overclocking to speak of...

OP
F

FriedAMD

I have both mobo monitor and CPU-Z running. Trouble is, I can't get into windows after I push the FSB past 140 to check on these temps. Yes, I was planning on purchasing an aftermarket heatsink + fan, but before I dish out money on those I want to be sure that my processor is in fact capable of being overclocked to something reasonable. That's what I'm doing with this preliminary overclocking business in the first place. I don't believe the problem I'm experiencing is the result of overheating for two reasons: 1) None of the temperature alarms I have set are going off and 2) 140mhz is the critical line of demaracation here...140mhz FSB, everything's fine, and everything boots properly. 141mhz...nada.

Has anyone had success with overclocking a 2100+ Palomino? Chrisman, you seem a bit more optimistic, heh. Heard any success stories from 2100+ Palomino owners?

c627627

I think the central 'problem' here is that Palomino core does not scale beyond 2100+ because those are the core limits + a little headroom.

Thoroughbred B core scales to 2800+ and that's why 2100+ B overclocks 400 MHz+ more than 2100+ Palomino.

Note that Thoroughbred A scales to 2200+ so A is also not a great overclocker when compared to B.

Look at the chart to see the core limits:
http://www.c627627.com/AMD/AthlonXP/

You can add 100, in extreme cases maybe 200 MHz to core limits but hardly ever more and that's in best case scenarios with high quality cooling, mobo and name brand power supply.

Last edited:

c627627

Also note that your mobo doesn't have a PCI lock like nForce2 mobos, so every time you raise your FSB, you overclock everything connected to the motherboard like PCi cards and hard drives, which limits your overall overclockability when overclocking through FSB.

P.S. I also hit a low 140's FSB wall using a non PCI locked SiS mobo once.

c627627

I forgot to also say that when I tried overclocking Palominos and Thoroughbreds with retail heatsinks, I couldn't even get 100 MHz unstable overclocks.

Barton retail heatsinks can overclock some but not Palomino & T-Bred retails...

OP
F

FriedAMD

I see. Well thanks so much for all the info c6. I'll look into getting a new processor off ebay tomorrow.

EDIT:
OR maybe I'll just swap the Barton AthlonXP 3000+ out of my family's home computer into mine... :sn:

:p

Last edited: