• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Digi-Camcorder Selecting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

z0n3

My parents are asking me to help pick out a new camcorder. The problem is that they want one that does not use tapes and prefer one that does not rely on a removable media. I know that tapes have better quality right now but they are set on this and it won't help to argue. I have been looking on and off for the last few months trying to decide what to get and wainting to see what the newer models would bring. But I still seem to be lost.

What I need is a camcorder that isn't to large, has decent lowlight, uses a harddrive to store data, and records in .mov/.mpeg/.avi/.divx or has software that can convert the files. I have seen some 3-CCD camcorders have worked their way into the <$1000 price braket. Sadly none of them (that I have seen) have a hardrive like I am looking for. I look forward to any reccomendations even ones outside my criteria. Also on my list is a mic and tripod. I have been told that the mics built into the camcorders suck and I don't want some cruddy sound. A tripod is almost necessary for some members of my family. They can't seem to hold a camera still.

This is the one I have my eye on right now. It does everything I need and has several goodies as well. Like a second battery and the ability to be hooked up to a TV through component cables (my current cable of choice). I would like to hear some opinions on it and I plan on reading some reviews tonight.

P.S.- I want nothing to do with Sony. They recently burned a friend of mine and that DRM news is still fresh in my mind.