• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

digital camera for girl friend, is this a good deal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zip22

Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2003
i had a thread a while ago about getting a digital camera for my girlfriends birthday. the canon sd110 is what i decided on. right now, newegg sells the camera for $249.95 + $5.00 shipping. (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=30-120-123&depa=0) the best price i could find was $230 + free shipping at beach camera (http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/Product.asp?ProdTypeList=&Sku=CNPSSD110) (a reputable dealer)

newegg right now, however has the "Coach edition" which comes with premium case from the Coach brand, and a metal neckstrap for only $249 + free shipping when it is usually $299 (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=30-120-019&depa=0)

so i could get the coach edition for only $19 more than the best price i have found. the beach camera deal isnt going anywhere, but i think the newegg deal might vanish soon. do you think the coach edition is worth $19? (its normally worth ~$50 aparantly)

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/app/pdf/d_camera/sd110_coach.pdf

30-120-019-20.JPG
from www.newegg.com.
 

JCLW

Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2002
She'll probably need a case either way. If you (or she) already has one then I wouldn't bother, but if you don't then it's a good chance to pick up a case specifically designed for that camera at a decent price. Since you said in the other thread you/she wanted a small camera I'm guessing that you'll/she'll want a small case as well. Some people like bigger cases to store extra batteries, chargers, USB cables, memory cards, etc.. in. It's just a personal choice.

She probably wouldn't like mine:
IMG_2919.jpg

But I work on boats so I need a waterproof case.
 

b0bby

Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Location
dutty south
the coach kit is not worth it at all. i'd buy the camera whever cheapest and look for the canon elph kit 2 for that model. it comes with a snug canon camera case, an extra battery, and the metal neck strap for 50 so it comes out to the same price. the special limited super rare blah blah coach edition case is no different than the canon case. just expensive cause its coach. that money is better invested in an extra battery i think then the whole coach display and the 'special' coach case. if you wanna see it in person before ordering it somewhere, bestbuy has em. hope that helps.

-b0bby
 
OP
zip22

zip22

Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2003
JCLW, yeah a snug case is what im looking for. just something to keep the camera from getting scratched. im guessing she'll put it into her pursre whenever she thinks she'll want to use it.

thanks bObby, i think i'll look at best buy.

looking at the canon website, the elph kit 2 is $59.95. i found it funny that to buy the extra battery alone costs $58, and you can get a case and strap for an extra $1.95. right now, though i dont think i want to spend the money to get the extra battery. if it ever becomes a problem then i'll look into it.

i was wondering where and how cheap i could find snug cases like the coach one and the one in the elph kit. on canons website, the case for the camera is $16, so then getting the coach edition would make sense. if i can find a similar case for <$10, then its not worth it.


edit: :( its back up to $299 :bang head. incase anyone didnt catch it from the first post, the newegg price for the coach edition was actually the same as for the camera alone ($249), with free shipping. oh well, i still need a case, so any retailers or suggestions will be appreciated

i found that office depot has the canon case for $9.95 so i might just do that, but now i wish i had jumped on that deal :bang head
 
Last edited:

b0bby

Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Location
dutty south
zip22 said:
JCLW, yeah a snug case is what im looking for. just something to keep the camera from getting scratched. im guessing she'll put it into her pursre whenever she thinks she'll want to use it.

thanks bObby, i think i'll look at best buy.

looking at the canon website, the elph kit 2 is $59.95. i found it funny that to buy the extra battery alone costs $58, and you can get a case and strap for an extra $1.95. right now, though i dont think i want to spend the money to get the extra battery. if it ever becomes a problem then i'll look into it.

i was wondering where and how cheap i could find snug cases like the coach one and the one in the elph kit. on canons website, the case for the camera is $16, so then getting the coach edition would make sense. if i can find a similar case for <$10, then its not worth it.


edit: :( its back up to $299 :bang head. incase anyone didnt catch it from the first post, the newegg price for the coach edition was actually the same as for the camera alone ($249), with free shipping. oh well, i still need a case, so any retailers or suggestions will be appreciated

i found that office depot has the canon case for $9.95 so i might just do that, but now i wish i had jumped on that deal :bang head

they have snug canon cases just like the coach made for that specific model for around 10 i think. that kit is 49 at bb i think. i work part-time at bb and work one day a week at wolf camera so i'll check it out tommorow. as for her needing a battery, most of the time she doesn't. the lithium ion battery lasts a good bit. she'll run out of space on a 128mb card maybe a few times before she has to recharge. but when its dead you cant use anything else and you gotta wait awhile for it to recharge. was at disney world with the gf and family one year, didn't recharge it the night before just like i do with my cell phone, assuming i didn't need to. next day out at the park battery dies, had to spend the next 2-3 hours back at the hotel recharging. stupid of me but it happens to everyone. goodluck with your purchase.
 

JCLW

Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2002
Batteries, memory cards, and card readers are all good things to put on birthday/xmas/whatever lists.
 

Kendan

Senior Punk
Joined
Aug 27, 2001
Location
Dark side of hell
an extra battery is definitely worth having it is small and easy to slip into even the smallest of cases. You can find 3rd party betteries for way cheaper than the canon ones. Just do a search on the big deal sites for the model# of the battery.
 
OP
zip22

zip22

Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2003
alright, even though i missed that deal :bang head i still have another question

will the difference in performance really be noticable for an average user between these 3 memory cards? i dont think she will be using a card reader, probably just plugging the camera into a usb port.

Kingston $29 AR - "2MB/s average"
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-160-023&depa=7

Kingmax $49 - "60x high speed, 10MB/s max"
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-155-256&depa=7

Lexar $53 AR - "32x high speed"
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-180-804&depa=7


edit: also im thinking of maybe going to 128MB, unless the $29 256MB Kingston will do fine.
 

JCLW

Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2002
zip22 said:
Will the difference in performance really be noticable for an average user between these 3 memory cards? i dont think she will be using a card reader, probably just plugging the camera into a usb port.
No, not at all.
 

b0bby

Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Location
dutty south
zip22 said:
will the difference in performance really be noticable for an average user between these 3 memory cards? i dont think she will be using a card reader, probably just plugging the camera into a usb port.

like the person above said, not at all. i would buy whatever is CHEAPEST in price. the different read/write speeds will not matter with this camera because it doesn't shoot really fast continuous frames. high speed memory is best with cameras that shoot a lot of frames per second in continuous mode. in those cameras slow memory would take like 20-30 seconds for 10 shots to be stored where fast memory would store them as soon as you take em. hope this explanation helps, but yeh i would get the cheapest priced memory, don't worry about speed.

-b0bby
 
OP
zip22

zip22

Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2003
alright, finally ordered.

Canon SD110 - $230.29 free s/h
http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/Product.asp?ProdTypeList=&Sku=CNPSSD110

Kingston 256MB SD- $27 AR free s/h (now its $2 more)
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-160-023&depa=0

LOWEPRO D-RES 4M - $9.95 +$3.80 s/h
http://www.normancamera.com/Shop/SearchResults.asp?ProdStock=3400010

i recognized the brand as being pretty popular and found the case using the camera grid on their website. the sd110 should fit pretty snugly.