• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dimondmax 8 plus not compatible with p3 600mhz????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dude2

is the maxtor diamond plus 8 40gb 7200 compatible with p3 600mhz, i have tried 2 of the same HDD and both times they hav not been detected. Im running 256mb sd-ram 2.

How can i get it to work!!!!!???

thanks

jonny

In your BIOS, is it set to Auto-Detect mode? Those drives are meant to run up to DMA Mode 6, if supported by your BIOS/motherboard. If set to Automatic, it should detect the correct mode for you.

Also, check your jumpers and cables to verify they are set and installed correctly.

ok i will try that, might i need to flash the bios, if so can u direct me to a site where i can get the bios flash's from,

thanks

What is the make and model of your motherboard?

It's usually best to check out your mobo manual or go directly to their website.

First i tried it on cable select then and now on master.

I have tried running it on a seperate ide cable as well as on the same as the detected cd-rom. Both didint detect it.

I tried the drive in my computer (listed spec below) and all worked fine, detected first time.

What could this be!? It must surely be a bios problem??

I have been looking for a long time now but still no real luck, please can someone help me with where i look for the bios flash for a

Award modular BIOS v4.51PG
Winbond
VIA

I need to upgrade this.

thanks

jonny

Winbond or Via sounds like chipsets, not major mobo makers...

You should try and find a product code or BIOS version you can look up, or look at the motherboard itself for a possible manufacterer label and model number.

vt82c596a ??

This one? this is on a black VIA chip.

i think this is the model number?

BIOS info:

Manufacturer: Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
BIOS ID: 09/30/1999-693-596-W977-2A6LGG3AC-00
Chipset: VIA 82C691 rev 34
Super I/0 Chip: Winbond 83977EF found at port 3F0h

OK! When your comp is booting up, hold down the DELETE key. The BIOS setup screen will come up. Use thw arrow keys to move the highlight bar where you want. Use ESC key to exit a certian menu &ENTER to apply a setting. Go to ADVANCED BIOS FEATURES & set Hard drives to AUTO. Hit F10 to save settings & comp should boot normally. If you have a manual for the Mobo, study it. See my sig!! Good Luck! -Dave

i have flashed the BIOS.

Now the monitor wont turn on - does this mean its blown? The fans etc seem to be going though?

Thanks

Jonny

If you have flashed the BIOS incorrectly and managed to get the BIOS unworkable on an older board, you are done... Permanently...

Try clearing the CMOS to see if you can get your motherboard back to a working state. It sounds to me like you toasted the BIOS. If so you are probably best off getting a new motherboard and cpu.

Sorry.

Dave

mugambo said:
If you have flashed the BIOS incorrectly and managed to get the BIOS unworkable on an older board, you are done... Permanently...

Try clearing the CMOS to see if you can get your motherboard back to a working state. It sounds to me like you toasted the BIOS. If so you are probably best off getting a new motherboard and cpu.

Sorry.

Dave

or you could just get another bios chip for $10...

im in the uk and i dont have the starting clue how to install one and im not sure if a shop around does them.

So my motherboard is definetly done, finnished?

i'm in the uk to, i didn't flash my bios properly and i ordered a new bios from abit. Find out what company manufactures your bios call them up and order a new bios tell them what motherboard you have exactly so that you'll have the right bios, i took out my bios with nail scissors just be careful not to destroy the bios socket and insert the new one, and it will work straight away.

Hey, how long did it take you?

BIOS info:

Manufacturer: Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
BIOS ID: 09/30/1999-693-596-W977-2A6LGG3AC-00
Chipset: VIA 82C691 rev 34
Super I/0 Chip: Winbond 83977EF found at port 3F0h

could you direct me to where i should order a new one from?

Will the new one be the latest? and also - does it come with instructions?

thanks

jonny

Phoned Tiny today,

They told me it was a MSI motherboard.

I am trying to get hold on a new BIOS chip, or just a new motherboard. My cpu fan isnt turning anymore as well.

They told me the model number fo the msi board so i checked up on the BIOS upgrades and there were 3 of them direct matches!!

OOOOPPS:

Lesson learnt - make sure you know exactly what you are dealing with!

Back