• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Direct IHS Liquid Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jaydee116

Registered
Time to put the theory into practice and see if this is a viable option. There has been some discussion on the subject over the years and some may have done it but if they have i cannot find it. Therefor I have constructed this to see if all my theories about this approach are reasonable.

Theoretical cons:
1) IHS has no center pressure to make the IHS contact the die well.
2) Laminar flow and low surface area making heat removal less efficient.

Theoretical positives:
1) Removes TIM layer.

Known positives:
Very cheap to make. :D

I already ran a few other blocks (MP-05-SP, Stock Retail Sempron Cooler and a DD Maze4) through the test bench on this Sempron CPU at stock speeds and overclocked. So if the thing doesn't fry right off the bat then I will have some comparative results.
milling.JPG

amdbase.JPG

top.JPG

mounted.JPG

That's cool, until it starts leaking and you're F*****!!!!
Chances of leaking are minimal. It seals the same way any normal o-ring sealed water block works or even the o-ring sealed barbs. O-ring presses tight against top of IHS.

Edit: however these are just extra parts laying about. $15CPU and a $20 mobo is not a big loss.

Oh silly me, I thought you mean direct die :bang head

Interested to see how this turns out. I'd probably want to see if temps improved or got worse if you were to completely rough up the IHS with coarse sandpaper or other methods.

I don't know, I'm thinking temps would be higher. Why? A waterblock has metal in between the water and the IHS that increases the surface area for water to come into contact with. Since copper conducts much better than water...that is my conclusion.

Kudos for even attempting this, I'm awaiting results. :D

:sn: edit: Saw your cons, exactly my train of thought :)

Double :sn: edit: You don't happen to be the Jaydee over at ProCooling? If so, I love your custom water cooling equipment :drool:

I don't know, I'm thinking temps would be higher. Why? A waterblock has metal in between the water and the IHS that increases the surface area for water to come into contact with. Since copper conducts much better than water...that is my conclusion.

Kudos for even attempting this, I'm awaiting results. :D

:sn: edit: Saw your cons, exactly my train of thought :)

Double :sn: edit: You don't happen to be the Jaydee over at ProCooling? If so, I love your custom water cooling equipment :drool:

theoretically its like spraying the CPU with a hose, still, id be worried of leaks, are you gona use any kind of RTV sealant, jaydee?

you must remember that the ihs is also copper, lapping it would bring all the plating off of it and create the copper look. Would it cool better than a water block, I wouldn't think so in my opion as the water will just hit then ihs and bounce of and leave unless you made groves in the ihs to channel and create more resistence for the water to pick up the heat

It has the same chance of leaking as any other part in a system. The Oring makes a tight seal against the IHS. I have leak tested it for 10 hours now and no leaks. Will go live with it when I get some other things done.

leaktest.JPG

I've been toying with this idea for a while but have never gotten around to doing anything with it. I'm pretty sure you'll get good results. Perhaps no better than a waterblock.... but I don't think it'll be anything to sneeze at.

Last edited:
I have a CNC mill that I made this with so no need to saw. However I have no idea how thick the IHS is in the middle.

Back