• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DirectX 12 and older cards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

de_yogurt

I did a quick check about DX12 and older video cards. Seems you don't need a new card to run DX12 but will need one to gain access to DX12 only features. However I did not seem to find any official documentation on these cards or DX12 only features. I'm hoping someone here has compiled their own list or knows where to find the official documents. Ultimately this will help me determine which card to purchase without breaking the bank. The only new title I'm really interested in thats coming up is Gears of War 4. Sorry for the crappy format, doing this from my cheap phone.

Soulcatcher668

The good news, if you are at 1080p, the RX 470 and the GTX 1060 both come in around 200 bucks and will run new titles north of 60 fps at high settings.

Both are current gen so they are DX12 compliant. It is a good time to be at 1080p.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
The pascal cards seem to have a higher feature set, 12_1, but, the amd cards have async compute better...

OP
D

de_yogurt

The problem with the GPU market is that the cards don't sell at MSRP. For example I could get a 970 for less than a 1060. I don't mind buying used. I plan on staying at 1080p until 1440p becomes more affordable for me.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
The 970 is a slower card, and used...makes sense you can get it cheaper. But you lose efficiency and the latest features (which you may or may not miss). I would always say get the latest generation new than last gen used...