• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DirectX 8.2 is out .. should I get it ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I see no DX 8.2. there's directplay 8.2, but the latest DX is 8.1b. And BTW, that link says page not found.

Im not looking ... I downloaded DX 8.2 ... but I dont know if I should install it :confused:

DirectX 8.2 released

1:23 1/11 2002 francesco_a SITE News

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summary:

Not exactly a game, but well it belongs to gamers. Version 8.2 fixes some issues with Direct Media. (Thanks to our chummiest friendly chummies at Ve3D)

Download DirectX 8.2 from Microsoft

Full Story:

The DirectX 8.2 release supports Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000 and Windows XP. The DirectX installation process requires approximately 60 megabytes (MB) of free space on your hard drive. Once installed, you can delete the installation files. The remaining DirectX files use approximately 16 MB of hard drive space. If you had an earlier version of DirectX installed on your computer, you will see little difference in used space on your hard drive. DirectX 8.2 will overwrite the earlier versions.

Note: After installation, the DirectX 8.2 runtime cannot be removed (uninstalled). The installation process changes core components and makes numerous registry changes within your operating system. Microsoft does not support un-installation.

Operating System - Windows 98 & 2000 & Windows Me, Win XP

It looks to me like its basicly a patch for DX8.1b that fixes multiplayer issues. I personally wouldn't dl it if everything works fine without it and/or until somebody else tests it.

lol get leaked 9 and be an idiot! j/k :D :D and this was a joke not a flame so i dont get in trouble again

This would be a way for someone leary of the SP1 patch like me to install dx8.1. Since Microshaft has made 8.1 exclusively part of their SP1 update. Thanks for the link.

DirectX 8.2??? What about the DirectX 9.0 pp were talking about a while ago??

LutaWicasa said:

It is my understanding that DX 9.0 is in the Beta testing stage as yet.

Yep, that version was a beta with a supposed expiration date on it. On the screenies that I saw, it stated that you would need a developer's key at that point to register it and continue to use your computer.

8.2 is an official patch/release, from what I have read.

Dx 8.2 is inedeed out ............ but without any fanfare , it appears to work . One thing to beware is that it has no uninstall option , if it doesn't work for you then that may be an issue .

Link : http://download.microsoft.com/download/DirectX/Install/8.2/W982KMeXP/EN-US/dplay82 update.exe

http://138pc222.sshunet.nl/Drivers/DirectX82.zip

" This download contains DirectX 8.1b plus some DirectPlay fixes related to performance and connectivity issues exhibited with some online multiplayer game titles. This release of DirectX is not recommended for general installation. You should only consider installing this release if you have an online gaming problem that has been identified as being fixed with DirectX 8.2. This version of DirectX can replace all previous released versions of DirectX.

System Requirements:

The DirectX 8.2 release supports Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000 and Windows XP. The DirectX installation process requires approximately 60 megabytes (MB) of free space on your hard drive. Once installed, you can delete the installation files. The remaining DirectX files use approximately 16 MB of hard drive space. If you had an earlier version of DirectX installed on your computer, you will see little difference in used space on your hard drive. DirectX 8.2 will overwrite the earlier versions.

Note: After installation, the DirectX 8.2 runtime cannot be removed (uninstalled). The installation process changes core components and makes numerous registry changes within your operating system. Microsoft does not support un-installation.

Operating System - Windows 98 & 2000 & Windows Me, Win XP
Note: Despite the date on the download (27 Sep 2002), this is actually new, and now an official download from Microsoft's severs. This new version is also being shipped with new Microsoft games such as Combat Flight Simulator 3, etc. which has been discussed on MadOnion's forums. "

I was about ready to reload my pc anyway so I figured I would try it out. Running Win XP Pro without SP1 and the 40.03 detonator drivers at the time of install. Also Riva tuner for my overclock.

After installing, things got real shaky and had a few crashes. I thought maybe the problem was vid drivers so I backed up to the "new" WHQL 40.72 detonator drivers and the craches seam to have stopped.

However, when running 3DMarks 2001, the game freezes in each of the two Game 2 tests which obviousy screws up my score. I had this issue before and it ended up being the version of Powerstrip I was using to fix my refresh rate.

Going to try a few things with unclocking my card and testing out a few more drivers before I fdisk this thing, just to see if I can find a concrete issue.

Back