• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dirty cooling fans, need a house maid for cleaning

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CheeZeTM

HELP Dirty cooling fans, need cleaning

Normally if it go and buy a new one or pull one out a clean system around here, but i dont want to, i want a SURE FIRE way to clean these dusty old fans, they are the LED ones, is it safe to wash the fans in water? what about alcohol? have no problem with dassasemboly of the blade from chasie, just wanna know what to do after

Last edited:

NicePants42

As long as you seperated the blade from the chassis, a simple dusting would probably work. As far as washing it - water doesn't hurt plastic, so as long as you don't do anything dumb like submerging the circuit board or the motor, and allow enough time to dry, you'll be fine. You should be able to wash the LEDs and wires too. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the thing worked after all its components were completely submerged.

I find that dusting usally gets the job done though.

OP
CheeZeTM

CheeZeTM

Well after waiting a while i decided to go ahead ad "do what i had to do" washed the chassie with alchohol and fan with water, chassie turned whiteish and blade staied clear, but there is no dust left, as for working, i will try it later and post it i am about ot go to sleep

bobad

CheeZeTM said:
fans in water? what about alcohol? have no problem with dassasemboly of the blade from chasie, just wanna know what to do after

If you want to prevent your fans from turning into fuzz balls again, check out my webpage. The filter is a little bit ugly, but you can instantly remove it when your friends come over. :)

http://webpages.charter.net/bobad/cool.htm

OP
CheeZeTM

CheeZeTM

Looks like you got yourself a nice filter there, looks lik eit's made out of 2 tupper ware dishes with a cloth in the middle, i am not going to have a problem with my dust for long, i am getting some fan filters in and just want to clean them to make them look good for there new seating with the filters

bobad

CheeZeTM said:
i am getting some fan filters in and just want to clean them to make them look good for there new seating with the filters

Make sure the filters are an inch or more from the fan blades. Otherwise they will cause turbulence and noise and reduce airflow. Also, the filter cross section should be a good bit larger than the fan. 1.5x to 2x is about right.