• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Disable Image(s) in Firefox

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
Heatware Profile
No, it's not as simple as it sounds. The problem is that the forum background (static gunmetal grey image, repeated across the screen) brings my poor laptop's scrolling ability to a crawl. So I need to get rid of it.

I know how to disable images altogether, but that's hardly a good solution. I have firebug and can disable the images (there are three lines to disable:
Code:
body {
     background:#959595 url(images/bodyBGbtm.jpg) repeat scroll 0 0;
}

#page {
     background:transparent url(images/bodyBG.jpg) repeat-x scroll 0 0;
}

and in another body { section:

body {
     background:#272727 url(http://www.overclockers.com/wp-content/themes/overclockers/images/bodyBGbtm-dark.jpg) repeat scroll 0 0;
}
Disabling the three of those works...on the page I'm on. Whenever I go to a different page on the forums, they're back. They're even back when I hit "back" on the browser to go back to the page I worked on initially (say, usercp, for example).

Any clues how to get rid of them altogether? Without the static background, the forums act normal again on this PoS.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
Heatware Profile
Can you block specific items via the hosts file or only at the domain level? Just the first thing that comes to mind, may want to redirect those items to 255.0.0.0.

OP
hokiealumnus

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
Heatware Profile
It could be that I'm not doing it right b/c I've not edited the hosts file before, but from searching, this should be right if it worked (it doesn't work for single files apparently). I did restart to try it.
Code:
255.0.0.0	www.overclockers.com/wp-content/themes/overclockers/images/bodyBGbtm-dark.jpg
255.0.0.0	www.overclockers.com/wp-content/themes/overclockers/images/bodyBG.jpg
255.0.0.0	www.overclockers.com/wp-content/themes/overclockers/images/bodyBG-dark.jpg

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
Heatware Profile
Ya, I'm guessing it only works at the domain level, not at the specific file level. If you use adblock, you should be able to specify specific URL's however, and you could input these URLs which might achieve the same result.