• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Disabling back key in browser?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
This has been bugging me for some years and recently it's more of hair-pulling head-banging aggravation than an fly-on-a-hot-summer-day annoyance but in Firefox sometimes while I'm typing out somethings on some forums and on Craig's List, when I used backspace key to delete typo, it gets misinterprented by the browser as a back button and sends me away. :mad: I've gone through 3 different keyboards (Logitech, Microsoft, and a cheap no name crap from Walmart) and this persists so it couldn't be the keyboard itself.

9 out of 10 times when I click forward in browser, the forum or description box I was typing in gets wiped clean :cry: Especially sucks when I'm almost done typing out a long post only to lose the whole post trying to fix one lousy typo. :rain:

Is there a way to permanently disable backspace key in Firefox so it won't get used as back button?

johnz

in about:config modify "browser.backspace_action" and change the 0 to a 1. Restart the browser, and you should be good to go.

OP
4GHZ_or_bust

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
Thanks!! I'd like to shoot whoever thought that backspace key should be used as back button when it's also used for editing posts. :screwy:

johnz

Thanks!! I'd like to shoot whoever thought that backspace key should be used as back button when it's also used for editing posts. :screwy:

I'm curious as to how you have trouble. If you're in the text field, the backspace works as a letter remover. Only if you leave the field does it become back page. Are you bumping the mouse out of the text box?

Linux uses Alt Left Arrow. If you're interested I'll see if it can be made to do that on Windows. I'll have to play around with it though.

Edit:
changing that option to 2 makes alt-left arrow the back button. I wonder what 1 does :^/

Last edited: