• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Disaster...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

georanma

Good start to the new year....till the roommate just dropped his bud light can on top of my haf........
All my nightmares come true. Knew I should have kept it on the opposite side of my desk. Gonna let it sit over night atleast. Nothing shut off when It happened. As long as the x3460 es is ok....

Don't just let it sit then turn it back on... beer will leave some groady residue behind. Take the thing apart and give it a good cleaning.

What's a haf?

Ops, my bad. The HAF 932.

To make sure my post doesn't remain useless I'll upload a pic.

Attachments

• cm_haf932-3.jpg
    cm_haf932-3.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 2,173
Last edited:
Your going to want to take that apart and properly clean it before powering it back on... My old PII didn't mix well with pepsi, I doubt yours will either. Getsa cleaning!

I agree with everyone as well. Beer contains all sort of things that will leave a nasty residue on your components that will probably short them out, if not cleaned properly. I have seen coffee spill on a keyboard and upon cleaning it out and drying it completely, it worked fine. Then again, I have seen a few tablespoons of water drop on a keyboard and completely ruin it. It all depends.

Hopefully, you got to the power button in time and that no damage was done. Then again, have your roomie buy you new components if it doesn't. I am a stickler for NOT keeping liquids around expensive electronic items.

I've always been wary of fans/openings on the top of cases. It's most certainly a double edged sword, because although it cools so well, you're always at risk of a drink completely shorting out all your components. Best of luck on cleaning it out and such, that's really a bad break for you.

Expanding a little bit on the cleaning... I'm assuming it got a beer on the circuit boards, so the best way to go about cleaning those is, pull any affected boards out, remove the CMOS battery (if applicable), spray down the affected areas with Simple Green and scrub lightly with a toothbrush if necessary, then rinse thoroughly with tap water, and follow up with another rinse using either 90% isopropyl alcohol or distilled water. Leave it to dry for a couple days, and it should be good to go. Don't get lazy and leave out the final rinse step, as tap water can leave minerals behind... the alcohol or distilled water is to remove any of that residue.

For cleaning the case... toothbrush and Windex or whatever should do fine.

Back