• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Disconnecting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AmdPopper

Registered
I have cable internet with a D-link DI-604 router and my machine has windows XP home. I have a problem with my computer loosing its connection after a long time.

Any way to fix this?

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
Do all the computers lose the connection, or just one? If it's just one, then it could be the NIC or the cable. I have a few NICs that will just drop the connection every once in a while.

srs

It would be helpful to know exactly how long it takes for them to disconnect.

diggingforgold

I have the same router. It seems to not like it when my parents pile clothes on top of it. It gets pretty hot after a few hours of being blanketed.

Make sure it's not sufficating. Other than that, try updating firmware.

But overall, I haven't had many problems with mine. If all else fails, get a needle and press the little reset switch and hold it down for a few seconds. After a while, the router should reboot. Then run network setup wizard on all the machines, and restart each of them.

You may want to also try restarting your cable modem as well. It might just be poor service, or a dieing cable modem. Next time the connection dies, check your cable modem and make sure you see a the data light on (not flashing), and the cable connection light on (not flashing). It can flicker, but usually when it flashes in a steady on off way, it usually means your having ISP problems.

Give your cable company a call and see what they can do. But they probably wont take any responsibility for troubleshooting your router/network.

Hope you figure it out. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

DDR-PIII

Disabled
There might be a setting in your PPPoE config in xpo which tells it when to timeout and d/c, try looking for that and setting it to something elsew.

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
roYal said:
he said that his other one does the same thing
:rolleyes:Woops.. I though that was someone else that said that, agreeing with me. :rolleyes: I'm just blind, it's ok.

When it disconnects, what do you do to get it connected again? Reboot the router?