• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Disk is searching when Idle....Bothering me....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lazlo Panaflex

Ok randomly when my rig goes idle the harddrive will start spinning like mad for no apparent reason and then stop in like 5 min. Funny thing is i dont have Indexing or System restore on in the services so i have no idea what it is :mad:

Stedeman

The Half Asleep Member
Ya that would be my first guess
A lot of people don’t know where to go to turn this off so here is a pic but you first have to right click on my computer then fallow the numbers

26195695.jpg

Malpine Walis

Disabled
Do you have ms office? It has a util called "find fast" that does something like what you describe. If that is the case, go to control panel and disble the app (I forget how but it is pretty obvious once you have it open).

DDR-PIII

Disabled
its defraging ? it does that to me when idel for about 5-10 mins, i move the mouse and it stops.

OP
Lazlo Panaflex

Lazlo Panaflex

Stedeman said:
Ya that would be my first guess
A lot of people don’t know where to go to turn this off so here is a pic but you first have to right click on my computer then fallow the numbers

26195695.jpg

I just turned it off, will this affect my performance in any way? my sys is in my sig.

DDRP3, Yeah thats what i was thinking, but dont i have to manually start the defragging?

Stedeman

The Half Asleep Member
It will all depend on how much stuff you have that sits in memory, and how you use your system // I get a boost in my performance but I have very few programs that run at anyone point in time and I shut down my system when not in use

26259656.jpg

as long as you don't tank out your remaining memory (or get too many simultaneous request for information in memory) your ram will be faster than your hard drive

Last edited:

DDR-PIII

Disabled
Lazlo Panaflex said:

I just turned it off, will this affect my performance in any way? my sys is in my sig.

DDRP3, Yeah thats what i was thinking, but dont i have to manually start the defragging?

nope, i just reinstalled xp a day or two ago and it starts on its own, i'd snag you a screen shot but it goes away before I've got time to goto into the processes and press the print screen key :/

DanFraser

DDR-PIII said:

nope, i just reinstalled xp a day or two ago and it starts on its own, i'd snag you a screen shot but it goes away before I've got time to goto into the processes and press the print screen key :/

Open the processes then leave the computer idle...

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
You might also want to try this...Open My Computer | Right click your root drive (C:\) and select 'Properties' | Uncheck 'Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast file searching' | In the 'Confirm Attribute Change' dialog that opens, check 'Apply changes to C:\, subfolders and files'...which disables content indexing. The same thing can also be done with other partitions/drives formatted in NTFS...content indexing doesn't apply to FAT volumes. ;)

Demont

Don't some programs use virtual memory regardless of how much RAM you have? I wouldn't outright disable it... forcing the pagefile to a set size (like 1 gig or something) and putting it at the beginning of the drive with Norton Speedisk or similar will help as far as performance instead of just disabling it.