• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Display not working Ati R9 290

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rigger2k16

Registered
I have a weird problem! I'm using a flat panel TV as my monitor, and have for a while. Yesterday I plugged an HDMI cable from my video card to my reglar TV to watch a movie, but when I plugged the HDMI cable back to my monitor, the display didnt wok. So I plugged the HDMI cable back into the TV I was watching a movie on and the display appeared. I justcant get the display to appear on my monitor. So, I tesed the HDMI cable by plugging it into the onbaord graphics HDMI port, and the disp[lay showed up on my monitor. So I am confused. The display shows up on a 65 in Vizio TV through the Ati R9 290, and the display shows up on my monitor using the on-board graphics...but the display wont show up on my monitor using the ATi R9 290...what could be the problem?

OP
R

Rigger2k16

Registered
Have you checked the settings in the menu of the monitor to be sure HDMI is selected as input method?

Of course, or else it wouldnt work when I plugged the monitor into the onboard graphics. I've ruled out the cable because it will display on my 65" TV through the Ati card, and I've ruled out a problem with the Monitor because the monitor I'm trying to use works with the on-board graphics.

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
Hmn,

Onboard to monitor via HDMI works
290 to TV via HDMI works
Onboard to TV via HDMI works

Just for giggles I would swap out the HDMI cable. Tho I know you ruled it out, but cables can be fickle. It'll work on one screen, but fails to work on another. It's happened to me before. I have about 10 different HDMI cables that I swap around, lol.

OP
R

Rigger2k16

Registered
I used one HDMI from the ATi to the monitor, but that didnt work. The same cable will show the display on th emonitor using the onboard graphics. Then I took the HDMI that displayed on the TV and used it to connect the monitor to the ATi card, but no display came on the monitor

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
But if that were the case, why would the TV show the display?

TV shows display from video card via HDMI- correct
TV shows display from onboard via HDMI -correct

Monitor shows display from onboard via HDMI - correct

But monitor does not show display from video card via HDMI

Am I right so far?

OP
R

Rigger2k16

Registered
TV shows display from video card via HDMI- correct
TV shows display from onboard via HDMI -correct

Monitor shows display from onboard via HDMI - correct

But monitor does not show display from video card via HDMI

Am I right so far?

Yes...so Im sure you can see why it's confusing me.....everything seems to work...but the combination of the HDMI cable going to the ATi card doesnt....but the Ati card apparently works because it will display on the TV, and the HDI cable work because they work with the onboardcard going to the ATi card as well as the HDMI from the ATi card to the TV...I just cant get the ATi card to work with the monitor!

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
Wow I'm confused as well. When you try to use the video card's HDMI to the monitor, do you hard reboot the pc? Meaning power the pc off, wait a minute or 2 then power it back on?

OP
R

Rigger2k16

Registered
Wow I'm confused as well. When you try to use the video card's HDMI to the monitor, do you hard reboot the pc? Meaning power the pc off, wait a minute or 2 then power it back on?

I sure did. I even reset the BIOS and then updated the video drivers, but no luck

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
Dang, sry bud but really I'm stumped. We went through the whole check list and them some to figure this out aside from swapping monitors. Come to think of it, do you have another monitor to try just as a last resort? Not a TV.

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
Unfortunately no

That's a shame. Another thing you can try is using the DVI port on the video card to the DVI input of the monitor and see if that will work. Assuming the monitor has a DVI connector. Aside of this, there's really nothing else that can be done/check.

OP
R

Rigger2k16

Registered
Ok, it's working again.... I still have no clue what caused the problem in the first place...but I took all component out of the case and then re-assembled it, booted up to the monitor working again...thanks to all who gave their advice!:clap: