• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Display port vs. HDMI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dravenspur

Hey guys -

I noticed, in looking at the motherboard I want to get for my new build, the ASUS Maximus VIII Gene, the video ports on the mobo. It has HDMI and display ports. The HDMI is rated at 4K @ 24Hz, the display ports are rated at 4K @ 60Hz. Are display ports the way of the future? The monitor I have now only has HDMI...are monitors coming out with display ports now? Am I supposed to get an HDMI to display port adapter for better performance? This is just a general thought I had just now. Thanks for any responses.

Have you considered any other MOBOs or set on the MVIIIG? My monitor has both display port and HDMI..?

I think the main advantage of Display Port is it's ability to daisy chain a number of monitors together.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I realized, after looking at my monitor and seeing it doesn't have a display port (2 HDMI's and a VGA), that the video card I get will have display ports on it, so I don't care about the motherboard as much. I can get an HDMI to display port adapter pretty cheap. I'm assuming more hertz is better when it comes to video output (60 vs 24 in the motherboards case), whether it's a motherboard or a video card. Cool.

24 hz is pretty low. I'm guessing you would get flicker with that.

Displayport is definitely the "future" connector. Older HDMI versions can't push enough pixels per second for the very high resolutions/refresh rates.

You have a 4K monitor that doesn't have displayport?? If it's HDMI only on the monitor, it's gotta be HDMI 2.0 which should be able to take a 60hz input, IIRC.

Displayport is definitely the "future" connector. Older HDMI versions can't push enough pixels per second for the very high resolutions/refresh rates.

You have a 4K monitor that doesn't have displayport?? If it's HDMI only on the monitor, it's gotta be HDMI 2.0 which should be able to take a 60hz input, IIRC.

It's not a 4k monitor. It's only 1080P.

HDMI 2.0 for UD 4k is 60FPS maximum.

Version 2.0[edit]

HDMI 2.0, referred to by some manufacturers as HDMI UHD, was released on September 4, 2013.[108]

HDMI 2.0 increases the maximum TMDS per channel throughput from 3.4 Gbit/s to 6 Gbit/s which allows for a maximum total TMDS throughput of 18 Gbit/s.[108] This enables HDMI 2.0 to carry 4K resolution at 60 frames per second (fps).[108][109][110] Other features of HDMI 2.0 include the options of the Rec. 2020 color space, Dual View, 4:2:0 chroma subsampling, 25 fps 3D formats, up to 4 audio streams, 21:9 aspect ratio, the HE-AAC and DRA audio standards, dynamic auto lip-sync, improved 3D capability, and additional CEC functions.[108] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

Last edited:
Back